SteamVR hands-on: Valve overtakes Oculus - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Default SteamVR hands-on: Valve overtakes Oculus

http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-hands...rtakes-oculus/

Quote:
My first real “holy shit” virtual reality experience was putting on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay headset for the first time. I already thought VR was cool, but I’d never experienced true immersion—what Oculus likes to call presence—until Crescent Bay. It’s such a powerful feeling, when I re-tried Crescent Bay and today put on SteamVR, I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to capture it again. What if it had just been a fluke? What if my brain stopped buying it? What if the 'presence' stopped feeling so uncannily real?
Quote:
Beyond the screen, though, I think SteamVR is ahead of Crescent Bay in every way that matters. The tracking worked flawlessly in my demo. I could move my head to look around and walk around my small room to explore the virtual environments of Valve’s demos. Oculus has repeatedly said that the Rift is a “seated experience,” even though they demo Crescent Bay standing up. Valve, meanwhile, is embracing the potential of standing up and walking around. The smartest feature of their VR software is a bounding box grid overlay that appears on screen when you approach a wall in the physical world. With the consumer headset, you’ll be able to precisely define the walls of your room, and the positional tracking system will alert you when you get too near to one. Another smaller area is highlighted around your feet to show the recommended “safe zone” for walking, well away from any walls.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Watcher of stances

until VR stops being a 'floating screen', i still think it has limited potential
the controller designs look familiar

the rise and ostracization of OR has been interesting, at least
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
HDD Contributor

I think my wife is pretty much sold on Vive. We'll probably be looking into the consumer model at the end of the year. Part of that is the Facebook backlash, I think. She's uncomfortable with the idea that Oculus is eventually going to be harvesting data and collating with Facebook to plaster her with ads just because she "looked" at a particular thing in VR. The movement tracking of Vive also seems to be the best of the bunch so far.

Now the only real issue is, of course, upgrading. Her PC is pretty beefy but she refuses to use it for gaming of any sort, and mine is middle of the road, so probably we'll have to start looking at that Titan X and equivalent motherboard to go with it if we really want the premium VR experience.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM

It's nice to see the conversation has shifted with this GDC to somewhat more realistic expectations for VR. People "imagining the possibilities" for traditional core games in VR (like Skyrim) seems to have fallen away after Valve's demo. It seems now the story is less about games, and more about "experiences", which seems more appropriate. Personally, I'm not very interested in experiences, even if the technology is highly effective. I still just want games - preferably those with a skill curve.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:30 PM

Man there is a LOT of money being poured into VR. Hopefully it goes somewhere.

As soon as a holodeck is created you guys will never hear from me again
Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
It's nice to see the conversation has shifted with this GDC to somewhat more realistic expectations for VR. People "imagining the possibilities" for traditional core games in VR (like Skyrim) seems to have fallen away after Valve's demo. It seems now the story is less about games, and more about "experiences", which seems more appropriate. Personally, I'm not very interested in experiences, even if the technology is highly effective. I still just want games - preferably those with a skill curve.
That sort of experience is still possible on VR, but I think we'll need a few more years to develop the conventions and "language" of it for longer term, hardcore gaming. I envision it as similar to the transition creatives had to make jumping from stage to motion picture; same basic premise of a performance for an audience, but the technology means you're going to have to do more than simply cut n' paste the experience of a stage play onto a screen. VR will have to develop its grammar of "cuts" and "montages" in the same way the game industry had to figure out the move from 2D to 3D game mechanics.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think my wife is pretty much sold on Vive. We'll probably be looking into the consumer model at the end of the year. Part of that is the Facebook backlash, I think. She's uncomfortable with the idea that Oculus is eventually going to be harvesting data and collating with Facebook to plaster her with ads just because she "looked" at a particular thing in VR. The movement tracking of Vive also seems to be the best of the bunch so far.

Now the only real issue is, of course, upgrading. Her PC is pretty beefy but she refuses to use it for gaming of any sort, and mine is middle of the road, so probably we'll have to start looking at that Titan X and equivalent motherboard to go with it if we really want the premium VR experience.
The Vive came out of left field, but it definitely shows promise. I've yet to demo a VR set and I hope to be able to before I actually purchase one with my next rig.

Your wife has a beefy PC (better than yours?) and doesn't use it for gaming? What a waste. Does she use it for other heavy duty stuff, like animation work or something?

Also, I'd definitely want to use some sort of VR with Skyrim (or the next TES game). Also Borderlands series. Shoot, I'd like to use it with pretty much every First Person game. I hope that VR technology will be possible with more than just games that have been updated specifically for VR support (or worse, in a way, if they were updated only to support one headset). Nvidia 3D Vision works with more than official 3D Vision games, though those tend to give the best experience. I'm hoping it will be something like that with VR headsets.

If nothing else, I expect the mod community might be able to work something out, at least for some games.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Your wife has a beefy PC (better than yours?) and doesn't use it for gaming? What a waste. Does she use it for other heavy duty stuff, like animation work or something?

Also, I'd definitely want to use some sort of VR with Skyrim (or the next TES game). Also Borderlands series. Shoot, I'd like to use it with pretty much every First Person game. I hope that VR technology will be possible with more than just games that have been updated specifically for VR support (or worse, in a way, if they were updated only to support one headset). Nvidia 3D Vision works with more than official 3D Vision games, though those tend to give the best experience. I'm hoping it will be something like that with VR headsets.

If nothing else, I expect the mod community might be able to work something out, at least for some games.
Yeah, she uses it for work, she's a professional digital artist, so really puts that thing through its paces and keeps it "clean" of all games and such.

The big issue with VR that people will have to overcome is sim sickness. I know everyone's been saying that they've licked it, and I think to some degree that's true, but we still haven't exposed VR to a wide spread audience AND had them play for a long time.

You know how some people get motion sick from playing an FPS for too long? Sim sickness is basically a magnified version of that operating on a much wider scale. The experiences people have had in recent months are all small, tailored things, so it'll be interesting to see if the complaints become more noticeable when someone says they played for three hours and felt dangerously nauseous afterwards.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM

"The smartest feature of their VR software is a bounding box grid overlay that appears on screen when you approach a wall in the physical world."

For the full experience you need to lay down the $$$ and buy the omni-directional treadmill for gaming in VR... you can walk all over and stay in place

this boarded crap grid is bs.