SteamVR hands-on: Valve overtakes Oculus - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Favelle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,154
Default SteamVR hands-on: Valve overtakes Oculus

http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-hands...rtakes-oculus/




Quote:
My first real “holy shit” virtual reality experience was putting on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay headset for the first time. I already thought VR was cool, but I’d never experienced true immersion—what Oculus likes to call presence—until Crescent Bay. It’s such a powerful feeling, when I re-tried Crescent Bay and today put on SteamVR, I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to capture it again. What if it had just been a fluke? What if my brain stopped buying it? What if the 'presence' stopped feeling so uncannily real?
Quote:
Beyond the screen, though, I think SteamVR is ahead of Crescent Bay in every way that matters. The tracking worked flawlessly in my demo. I could move my head to look around and walk around my small room to explore the virtual environments of Valve’s demos. Oculus has repeatedly said that the Rift is a “seated experience,” even though they demo Crescent Bay standing up. Valve, meanwhile, is embracing the potential of standing up and walking around. The smartest feature of their VR software is a bounding box grid overlay that appears on screen when you approach a wall in the physical world. With the consumer headset, you’ll be able to precisely define the walls of your room, and the positional tracking system will alert you when you get too near to one. Another smaller area is highlighted around your feet to show the recommended “safe zone” for walking, well away from any walls.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM
michealo's Avatar
Watcher of stances
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27,497
Default

until VR stops being a 'floating screen', i still think it has limited potential
the controller designs look familiar

the rise and ostracization of OR has been interesting, at least
__________________
why hate? participate!
Elitist Indifference FTW
xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,065
Default

I think my wife is pretty much sold on Vive. We'll probably be looking into the consumer model at the end of the year. Part of that is the Facebook backlash, I think. She's uncomfortable with the idea that Oculus is eventually going to be harvesting data and collating with Facebook to plaster her with ads just because she "looked" at a particular thing in VR. The movement tracking of Vive also seems to be the best of the bunch so far.

Now the only real issue is, of course, upgrading. Her PC is pretty beefy but she refuses to use it for gaming of any sort, and mine is middle of the road, so probably we'll have to start looking at that Titan X and equivalent motherboard to go with it if we really want the premium VR experience.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,402
Default

It's nice to see the conversation has shifted with this GDC to somewhat more realistic expectations for VR. People "imagining the possibilities" for traditional core games in VR (like Skyrim) seems to have fallen away after Valve's demo. It seems now the story is less about games, and more about "experiences", which seems more appropriate. Personally, I'm not very interested in experiences, even if the technology is highly effective. I still just want games - preferably those with a skill curve.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

Man there is a LOT of money being poured into VR. Hopefully it goes somewhere.

As soon as a holodeck is created you guys will never hear from me again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
It's nice to see the conversation has shifted with this GDC to somewhat more realistic expectations for VR. People "imagining the possibilities" for traditional core games in VR (like Skyrim) seems to have fallen away after Valve's demo. It seems now the story is less about games, and more about "experiences", which seems more appropriate. Personally, I'm not very interested in experiences, even if the technology is highly effective. I still just want games - preferably those with a skill curve.
That sort of experience is still possible on VR, but I think we'll need a few more years to develop the conventions and "language" of it for longer term, hardcore gaming. I envision it as similar to the transition creatives had to make jumping from stage to motion picture; same basic premise of a performance for an audience, but the technology means you're going to have to do more than simply cut n' paste the experience of a stage play onto a screen. VR will have to develop its grammar of "cuts" and "montages" in the same way the game industry had to figure out the move from 2D to 3D game mechanics.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Shadow of Death's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think my wife is pretty much sold on Vive. We'll probably be looking into the consumer model at the end of the year. Part of that is the Facebook backlash, I think. She's uncomfortable with the idea that Oculus is eventually going to be harvesting data and collating with Facebook to plaster her with ads just because she "looked" at a particular thing in VR. The movement tracking of Vive also seems to be the best of the bunch so far.

Now the only real issue is, of course, upgrading. Her PC is pretty beefy but she refuses to use it for gaming of any sort, and mine is middle of the road, so probably we'll have to start looking at that Titan X and equivalent motherboard to go with it if we really want the premium VR experience.
The Vive came out of left field, but it definitely shows promise. I've yet to demo a VR set and I hope to be able to before I actually purchase one with my next rig.

Your wife has a beefy PC (better than yours?) and doesn't use it for gaming? What a waste. Does she use it for other heavy duty stuff, like animation work or something?

Also, I'd definitely want to use some sort of VR with Skyrim (or the next TES game). Also Borderlands series. Shoot, I'd like to use it with pretty much every First Person game. I hope that VR technology will be possible with more than just games that have been updated specifically for VR support (or worse, in a way, if they were updated only to support one headset). Nvidia 3D Vision works with more than official 3D Vision games, though those tend to give the best experience. I'm hoping it will be something like that with VR headsets.

If nothing else, I expect the mod community might be able to work something out, at least for some games.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
HDD Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Your wife has a beefy PC (better than yours?) and doesn't use it for gaming? What a waste. Does she use it for other heavy duty stuff, like animation work or something?

Also, I'd definitely want to use some sort of VR with Skyrim (or the next TES game). Also Borderlands series. Shoot, I'd like to use it with pretty much every First Person game. I hope that VR technology will be possible with more than just games that have been updated specifically for VR support (or worse, in a way, if they were updated only to support one headset). Nvidia 3D Vision works with more than official 3D Vision games, though those tend to give the best experience. I'm hoping it will be something like that with VR headsets.

If nothing else, I expect the mod community might be able to work something out, at least for some games.
Yeah, she uses it for work, she's a professional digital artist, so really puts that thing through its paces and keeps it "clean" of all games and such.

The big issue with VR that people will have to overcome is sim sickness. I know everyone's been saying that they've licked it, and I think to some degree that's true, but we still haven't exposed VR to a wide spread audience AND had them play for a long time.

You know how some people get motion sick from playing an FPS for too long? Sim sickness is basically a magnified version of that operating on a much wider scale. The experiences people have had in recent months are all small, tailored things, so it'll be interesting to see if the complaints become more noticeable when someone says they played for three hours and felt dangerously nauseous afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,164
Default

"The smartest feature of their VR software is a bounding box grid overlay that appears on screen when you approach a wall in the physical world."

For the full experience you need to lay down the $$$ and buy the omni-directional treadmill for gaming in VR... you can walk all over and stay in place

this boarded crap grid is bs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu Ray overtakes DVD in Japan WallyWest High Definition Smackdown 2 12-14-2008 02:19 PM
What Happens When Your Batman Obsession Overtakes Your Sad Geek Life Arkadin The Water Cooler 8 07-30-2008 04:11 PM
How Long Till Blu-Ray Overtakes DvD Virtual Terror High Definition Smackdown 111 04-14-2008 10:02 PM
PS3 overtakes the 360 in yet another country goatmother Gaming Smackdown 31 12-14-2007 01:30 PM
We did it! HD optical overtakes VHS :) ack_bak High Definition Smackdown 25 08-18-2007 02:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off