'Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbox One/PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 PM
HDD Editor

Default 'Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbox One/PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbox One)' review and the 'Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (PS4)' review are up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/13341..._xbox_one.html

http://games.highdefdigest.com/13340..._dogs_ps4.html
Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 PM

So the Xbox One and PS4 versions get different scores on both the Visuals and Sound, but I'm not seeing text explaining why. The info at the bottom of each review is the same: LPCM 7.1 audio and 1080p. So why the different scores between the two versions?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:04 AM
HDD Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
So the Xbox One and PS4 versions get different scores on both the Visuals and Sound, but I'm not seeing text explaining why. The info at the bottom of each review is the same: LPCM 7.1 audio and 1080p. So why the different scores between the two versions?
Chief reason: different reviewers in different hemispheres. The Video and Audio sections are specific to each version.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Hmmm... just curious, why aren't the reviewer(s) names listed anywhere on the reviews? Given "The Game Itself: Our Reviewer's Take" sections are the same, that makes me think they were written by the same person. I just assumed the same was true for the other sections of the review since it was not noted that they were reviewed by different people entirely. For that matter, are the visual and audio reviews for each even written by the same person who wrote the game review?

I'm not trying to raise a stink over this game, I'm just trying to understand the reason the process is setup this way.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 PM
HDD Editor

At the top of the review, under the street date, is the Reviewed by indicator with the author's name along with a hyperlink to their reviews. In the Editor's Notes just below that, the shared nature of the review is detailed.
Since it's noted at the very top of the review, I didn't think it needed to be noted again. I could add "see editor's notes" in the video and audio sections, but that likely won't help anyone that glances at the grades and concludes that the PS4 and Xbox One version are being compared directly against each other, which would have been ideal in a faceoff. I did just amend the notes a little, an hopefully that makes it more clear. This kind of formatting seems to work on Blu-ray side (3D versus standard) and even worked back in the HD-DVD & Blu-ray days. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Not sure how I missed the reviewers names at the top. I must be dislyxik.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

So the fact the XB1 has higher scores for video and audio overall must mean it is the better system, right?

Oops, sorry, wrong forum, should be smackdown.

I would find it hard to believe there is little to no difference between the PC and XB1, unless the game has been severely crippled on PC.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Digital Foundry comparison: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ition-face-off No surprise the PC version comes out on top but hmmmmmmmm..... am glad I held off on buying this, it looks a bit more washed out than the original version and doesn't run as well. Think I'll pass on the definitive and just stick with the original version (already own all of the dlc for the original as well, got it in a bundle for like $5 from GMG).
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM

Bought the vanilla version on the summer sale and haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 AM

Never played this on the older systems. maybe one day i'll buy it.