'Batman: Arkham Asylum' and 'Batman: Arkham City' PC Save Files Now Invalidated - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM
HDD Editor

Post 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' and 'Batman: Arkham City' PC Save Files Now Invalidated

Games For Windows Live has one more joke to play on Batman players.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4122[/ATTACH]

Games For Windows Live, Microsoft's solution to PC gaming idiosyncrasies, has been a thorn in many gamers sides for the last decade. Recently, Microsoft finally made the decision to discontinue the service, and two of game affected are the PC versions of 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' and 'Batman: Arkham City.'

Two major problems caused by the service have been corrupted or inaccessible save files, and a convoluted Microsoft Store-only method for acquiring DLC.

In an announcement on Steam, the games have been updated to excise the horrid excuse for a game platform, GFWL, which has some interesting side effects. First, since GFWL managed the game's DLC, all owners have now been upgraded to Game of the Year Editions, regardless of which version and what DLC they previously owned. This is similar to the recent change in 'BioShock 2' and the 'Minerva's Den' DLC. Sadly, the removal of GFWL means that all save files are now useless, and the games must be played from scratch. "Unfortunately, you will not be able to continue playing from your current save. You will need to start a new game."

Finally, this all work rather seamlessly for those that have purchased the games through Steam, however, owners of boxed copies, will need to re-enter their CD keys. The announcement promises that this will be the last time the CD Key will be needed.

Steam
Attached Thumbnails
'Batman: Arkham Asylum' and 'Batman: Arkham City' PC Save Files Now Invalidated-batman_arkham_city_pc_goty.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 01:23 AM

And people wonder why I find PC gaming to be bullshit.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
And people wonder why I find PC gaming to be bullshit.
http://kotaku.com/your-missing-gta-o...for-1444075315
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 AM

LOL...and people say I don't get it.

This kind of shit is platform agnostic. If it wasn't for M$ trying to consolize the PC platform, this never would have happened in the first place.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

This kind of shit is platform agnostic. If it wasn't for M$ trying to consolize the PC platform, this never would have happened in the first place.
So it's platform agnostic... Except not really because it's all console's fault?

I'd say you still don't get it.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Watcher of stances

GFWL had little to do with consoles, it was a competitor to steam.
Of which, let's not pretend steamcloud is perfect for gamesaves.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 AM

I fail to see what that has to do with your saves for an OFFLINE SINGLE PLAYER GAME.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
No, we say you can't admit any faults PC gaming has. Others among us accept the good and bad each platform has.

Quote:
I fail to see what that has to do with your saves for an OFFLINE SINGLE PLAYER GAME.
The point is that while it does happen more on PC, consoles have issues pop up too, despite your twisted thinking that MP doesn't really count. There was also a little bit of "You really don't know what you're talking about, stop." in there.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
http://kotaku.com/rockstar-warns-gta...unt-1372496023

Is that better?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM

Suddenly, the past ten years of PC gaming flashes before my eyes, and I think of all of those PC games I played that revolved around GFWL and some of the games, I maybe never finished, and thought I would always get back to them to complete. Oh, well, thanks for the article, anyway. At least, I will know what is going on the next I attempt to play Batman:AA or Batman:AC plus the many other GFWL games I own that force me to start all over. Regardless, GFWL = Big Fail. Microsoft is the one that shoved this down our throats and have now bailed and left us hanging.