Cable router for Xbox 360 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Cable router for Xbox 360

I need a good and affordable cable router so I can finally use Xbox live on my Xbox 360. Can somebody give me a link to a good one, preferably on amazon.com. I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to this computer stuff so I really don't know what to look for. My buddy says I need a router to play my Xbox 360 on the internet. I also want to hook up my HD DVD player and my DirecTV HDDVR box to the internet. Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Anything from Linksys is good. Are you going hardwired or wireless? Most units out there are wireless now. Wait is it the router or the modem??

Linksys routers For the 360 if you want a wireless connection you can also just get a wireless adapter from Linksys aswell. It's alot cheaper then spending 100 bucks on the MS one, like 50 bucks cheaper.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info man, I went with the wireless router. I got a netgear wireless router and wireless PC network card from Bestbuy for a 100 bucks. I've got the router right by the Xbox360, so it's hard wired. I got my cable modem and everything hooked up this weekend and I'm having a blast. Only problem is, these kids won't let me take two steps on Gears of War with out blowing my head off with a sniper rifle. Man, I need to get some experience real bad. Plus all the kids were laughing at me and calling me a loser for playing Xbox because I said I was 30. It's still a lot of fun though. I'm addicted now.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Thanks for the info man, I went with the wireless router. I got a netgear wireless router and wireless PC network card from Bestbuy for a 100 bucks. I've got the router right by the Xbox360, so it's hard wired. I got my cable modem and everything hooked up this weekend and I'm having a blast. Only problem is, these kids won't let me take two steps on Gears of War with out blowing my head off with a sniper rifle. Man, I need to get some experience real bad. Plus all the kids were laughing at me and calling me a loser for playing Xbox because I said I was 30. It's still a lot of fun though. I'm addicted now.
LOL I hear ya. Those of us that have jobs can't compete with those that dont, at least in OL multiplayer. Just remind yourself that you probably drive a nicer car than they do...

How's that netgear working out for you? I amost bought one of those at Costco for about $35, but I was scared off by the insanely low price (thought it might be 'cheap'). Maybe I should have got that instead of the linksys I ended up with. Not that theres anything wrong with my linksys, it's great, but the one I got cost twice what the netgear did. Ah well....
Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM

I've found netgear routers to have huge quality issues. If you can, it might be worth it to get a professional quality router instead of a cheap home grade one.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post

I'd suggest doing non ranking stuff with Gears.. But good to hear you got everything hooked up.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
LOL I hear ya. Those of us that have jobs can't compete with those that dont, at least in OL multiplayer. Just remind yourself that you probably drive a nicer car than they do...
Just remember... you are old enough to drive! LOL!!! Next time a kid gives you crap because you are 30... ask him how late his mother lets him stay up to play video games! LOL!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
How's that netgear working out for you? I amost bought one of those at Costco for about $35, but I was scared off by the insanely low price (thought it might be 'cheap'). Maybe I should have got that instead of the linksys I ended up with.
It's working awesome, I was a little worried by the low price, but the Geek Squad guys said that it would be fine and so far it's great. I've got this wireless router and I've got it connected to a cable modem and the router is hardwired to the 360. I'm using this wireless desktop card to run the internet on the computer. Everything seems to me to be working perfect, so I'd have to recommend Netgear as an excellent bargain.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynthnut View Post
I'd suggest doing non ranking stuff with Gears.. But good to hear you got everything hooked up.
Yea, that's all I've been doing so far. These kids are unbelievably quick on the trigger though and they talk tons of trash. I tried out COD3 online yesterday, it was really fun too. The only problem is, once I get off work and start playing on this thing, it's midnight before I know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
Just remember... you are old enough to drive! LOL!!! Next time a kid gives you crap because you are 30... ask him how late his mother lets him stay up to play video games! LOL!!!
I know, I was trying to retaliate by reminding these kids that it was their bedtime. They just said I was gay and then blew my body into a bunch of pieces. I'm definitely hooked on this stuff now regardless. My son was getting pretty mad at me for hoging the controller.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Well, there are sites for "mature" gamers... you can join up and play with people that won't call you gay and other garbage.