DirecTV Will Launch TV and Broadband Bundles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
HDD Contributor

Default DirecTV Will Launch TV and Broadband Bundles

Starting later this year, you'll be able to get a 10Mbps connection through your satellite.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...dband_services
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Just switched to them for TV services on Saturday. I'll be curious how the pricing works out.

Also, methinks this is posted in the wrong forum.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM

I really don't know what this all means but....will there internet speed be just as good, if not better, than TWC? If so...then TWC is going to have some serious competition to keep me as a customer.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM

So now your internet can go out when your Sat Signal goes down :doh2: 10MB is fast, but i would not switch to DTV internet and i have had DTV for 6 years. Comcast offers faster speeds and the net stays on in thunderstorms which is more then i can say for my DTV.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Some people miss the point. A number of us have satellite service because of where we live; i.e., no cable nor internet providers in our region. In these cases, a satellite internet provider is of value, and granted 10Mbs is slow by normal internet standards, it's a lot faster than dial-up or no internet at all. Hopefully, there will be a cost advantage offered through Directv to those who do sign up for this service, over stand-alone satellite internet providers. Cost is one of the major reasons for not buying into satellite internet (speed is another).
Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 AM

I wonder what the bandwidth cap would be. I know with Hughes they limit you and many people have stated in the past that they throttle your connection if your using too much bandwidth.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM

This is great for people who live where fiber, cable and DSL aren't available, but in comparison to those services, satellite internet really sucks, and is not going to be a good alternative for most of their customers, who currently bundle local DSL with their satellite tv. Aside from being slow, Hughesnet caps their data based on a 24-hour period, so you can download less than a gig a day. I wonder how this works with on-demand services from DirecTV?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM

I have hughesnet at one of my vacation homes (no cell service, cable, or dsl available)

We pay almost $80/month for a 250MB download limit per day (with 1-day rollover data). Very expensive for little bandwidth that is not fast at all. Browsing web page to web page is fine and thats all you can really do.

You can download with no restrictions for about 4-5 hours during the middle of the night.

If you have cable or dsl options, sat internet should not be in your vocabulary.