THQ Wipes Out Games Planned for 2014 to Ready Itself for Sale (rumor) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Default THQ Wipes Out Games Planned for 2014 to Ready Itself for Sale (rumor)

"insider" info

http://kotaku.com/5876253/thq-wipes-...e-says-insider

Quote:
Rumor spreading fast via Twitter on Sunday holds that THQ has canceled its entire 2014 slate of releases to position the company for sale.

Kevin Dent, a games industry veteran, tweeted late yesterday that THQ had canceled an MMO it was developing under license from The Games Workshop, meaning Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millenium Online (pictured above). Dent went on to say that the publisher had also canceled all projects due for release in 2014 and was in the process of returning intellectual property to their licensors.

The purpose, Dent alleges, is to ready THQ for sale. "I am hearing everything (in 2014 is canceled), they need to preserve cash," he said. Dent noted THQ's stock price is around 66 cents; it was about $6 this time last year.

Games THQ publishes under license include the Warhammer 40,000 series as well as the WWE and UFC lines, both of which are under exclusive license. Other games THQ publishes include the Red Faction and Saints Row series. In October 2010, it opened a studio in Montréal, luring away Patrice Désilets from Ubisoft, where he had been creative director of Assassin's Creed.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
@davidscottjaffe
Dear Gaming Gods: If THQ really is for sale, please let someone buy it and hire me to run it creatively. Kthx!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM

They bet pretty heavily on some sports games which don't do much for me. I know a lot of you guys like their MMA games though
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM

I'm pretty sure they are betting on there not being a 2014.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Well... That doesn't seem smart. However, with the amount of flops they've had last year, it makes sense. Space marine did well for a war hammer game, but it didn't exactly set the world on fire, not to mention the utter failure RF: Armageddon was.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
Well... That doesn't seem smart. However, with the amount of flops they've had last year, it makes sense. Space marine did well for a war hammer game, but it didn't exactly set the world on fire, not to mention the utter failure RF: Armageddon was.
I picked up both of those a few weeks ago for about $10 each...new. Enjoyed the demos for both, but were nothing spectacular. Not expecting much from either though.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
I picked up both of those a few weeks ago for about $10 each...new. Enjoyed the demos for both, but were nothing spectacular. Not expecting much from either though.
Space Marine is pretty fun, RF is decent, but not great. Honestly the failure of that game was more in part to the bone head idea to drop the open world destruction that had made Guerrilla so fun.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

fuck... I love Saint's Row. Besides Assasin's Creed, it's my favorite new IP this generation. I know they said the next SR was scheduled for 2014...I guess that's gone now. Someone good better buy them and keep SR alive.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
fuck... I love Saint's Row. Besides Assasin's Creed, it's my favorite new IP this generation. I know they said the next SR was scheduled for 2014...I guess that's gone now. Someone good better buy them and keep SR alive.
I'm sure someone will buy rights to the franchise, if someone doesn't buy THQ.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

It's been an interesting year for THQ. You don't normally see companies issue public statements like the ones they released regarding licensed titles, Red Faction, sales, etc.

From a sales perspective, I think their problem is focusing on too many licensed projects. I reviewed two or three of them and, while they weren't bad, they were nothing special and don't typically do well with revenue. The UDraw also bombed, unfortunately.

I hope that nothing changes with regards to the Saints Row series, because I love it the way it is. THQ and Volition did a great job with Saints Row: The Third.

I also enjoyed Red Faction: Armageddon, unlike a lot of people.

Hopefully things go well for THQ. I like the company and the folks I've dealt with there.