Assassins Creed Hands on - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Assassins Creed Hands on

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-36...sins-Creed/p1/

Quote:
While we don’t know very much about the game’s actual storyline, we do know that you’ll play Altair, a hooded assassin in the 12th century who’s a member of a group that takes on dangerous assignments for unknown clients. In the level that we saw, Altair was tasked with murdering Talal, a slave trader in Jerusalem. As you play, the pieces of the story’s puzzle will start to come together when you enter a “white room” after assassinating your target. For instance, as Talal lay dying in our arms, he spoke of a brotherhood that was up to no good. We’re also still intrigued by the Matrix-like glitches that appear from time to time. As you probably know, the demo at last year’s E3 ended with a glimpse at a futuristic room of some sort that made everyone think that whole game was taking place in some sort of virtual reality.

Hangin' around...

The demo kicked off with Altair standing on a perch high above Jerusalem. You can perform a “Leap of Faith” from towering heights (just look for the doves!) when there’s something around to land in, and there just so happened to be a cart full of hay below us. All of the leaping and jumping in Assassin’s Creed appears to be predictive, so the game will be able to interpret where you want to jump and allow you to pull it off successfully. This means there will be no stopping to line up jumps or anything like that, and you’ll be able to leap from one area to the next quickly and fluidly.

As you progress through the crowded streets of the cities in which you do your dirty work, you’ll be able to act in either a “high profile” or “low profile.” When just walking around the city and trying to blend in, you’ll be low profile, while running and fighting will (obviously) make you quite a bit more conspicuous. The face buttons actually correspond with your head, free hand, weapon hand, and feet, but it’s a bit deeper than that. When in low profile, pressing Y will kick in Eagle Vision, which is essentially a way of using your character’s intuition to figure out where to go. The B button will allow you to gently push your way through the crowd, while A will let you bow your head to blend in even more.

While you’ll definitely spend a bit of time keeping your profile low, you’ll probably want to get in and out as fast as possible, which is when you’ll hold down the right trigger to enter high profile mode. You’ll have a completely different set of controls when you’ve got the modifier held down, and the one you use most is probably the free run, which is performed by holding the right trigger and A. Of course, as you probably know, you’ll also be doing a ton of leaping around, which can be performed in high profile mode. Pressing the jump button repeatedly will allow you to leap from ledge to ledge or swing from pole to pole, and we were very impressed by how easy it was to make your way from one part of the city to another.

This was largely due to the fact that the environments in Assassin’s Creed are incredibly interactive, allowing the player to scale virtually any wall or leap from one building to the next. The game makes you feel like you can do anything or go anywhere, from scaling the tallest building to balancing on the top of a wall. Once you’ve started your climb, you can grab onto just about every nook and cranny, no matter how small. There were a number of moments when I questioned whether or not I could reach a particular point, and I was always amazed at how quickly I found the quickest route.

Bird's eye view...

Although I was completely enamored with the platforming action, I was a bit disappointed by the sword-based combat. You can swing your sword (or dagger) once you’ve got it unsheathed, but I actually found myself waiting for my opponent’s to attack so I could quickly take them out with a counter move. While that sort of combat is all well and good, I would have liked to have seen the AI attack me a bit more aggressively when surrounding me. That’s not to say that the enemies won’t pursue you to the ends of the of earth once they spot you, as I was surprised that they followed me up to the rooftops and attempted to corner me. Thankfully, you can get out of danger by hiding in certain areas or getting a friendly group of vigilantes to slow down your pursuers.

Assassin’s Creed is, without a doubt, one of the best-looking games currently in development for the Xbox 360. The visuals look excellent, especially if you take the time to really look around as you’re on your way to your target. There are tons of little details around the city, especially when you’re walking through the market districts, which are literally teeming with life. The number of people on screen at any given time is equally impressive, as is the fact that they’ll all react to your presence. I also really liked the color palette, which somehow comes to life despite the fact that it features a lot of gray tones.

While it’s not without its problems (the combat needs to be balanced and there are still some bugs and glitches), we have faith that Assassin’s Creed will end up being one of the most exciting titles of 2007. Leaping from rooftop to rooftop in pursuit of a target is an absolute blast, and it’s impossible not to grin with delight once you ram your blade home. We can’t wait to see more of the environments and get a closer look at the other gameplay elements. Be sure to stay tuned for more previews in the coming months!

Last edited by Master X; 07-15-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 PM

im still not sure how i feel about this game. Mostly due to the fact of so many other games coming out soon, i think it might be a miss for me
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 PM

i think im going to start gamefly with all these games coming out over the holidays
Old 07-15-2007, 07:26 PM

i'm with illegal on this one... i'm just not sure about this. will wait to see what impressions about the full game are like...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 AM

this game is gonna rule---great time to be a gamer.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:49 AM

I heard they delayed the release of this game again. That sucks because I want to play right now.