HBO Go coming to game consoles, bringing all-you-can-eat HBO to the TV - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Default HBO Go coming to game consoles, bringing all-you-can-eat HBO to the TV

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/03/hb...an-eat-hbo-to/

Quote:
While you may have been surprised to learn that the Wii was the most popular game console for Netflix users, you should not have been surprised to learn that over "half of all Netflix users connect via a game console," as reported last week. It's similarly unsurprising to learn that Time Warner is looking to expand the reach of its popular HBO Go service from the web and mobile to connected TVs and cue drum roll, please video game consoles.

With over 4 million downloads for the mobile apps, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes says, the HBO Go services is considered to be a hit. Subscribers of the premium cable channel can access every episode of HBO's many original series, from Deadwood to The Sopranos to Game of Thrones. Extending access to the television is an obvious next step; however, it's unclear if Time Warner would charge for TV access, like Hulu has with its Hulu Plus offering, or treat all screens the same, also known as The Netflix Strategy.

In addition to the price, we also don't know a date for availability of the service. Tell you what, HBO let us subscribe to your fancy service and skip the onerous cable TV plan, and you've got yourself a deal!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM

It sucks this only works if you're currently a subscriber through your cable provider.

If it worked independent of the cable providers I'd be all for it.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM

Ditto Stryker, I might ditch HBO if they made it independent. As it is, I can already watch it anytime I want on demand, so what's the point of offering it subscribers only on XBL? More crap to surf through.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

oh god, sweatpants
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM

This would be fantastic and eliminate the requirement to hook my laptop up to my TV to watch a lot of the shows at full size. I hate that I can't access Deadwood / The Wire / and now Game of Thrones on demand anymore through my cable box.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
oh god, sweatpants
Rome, GoT, Entourage, on PS3/360?

Sweatpants indeed.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
This would be fantastic and eliminate the requirement to hook my laptop up to my TV to watch a lot of the shows at full size. I hate that I can't access Deadwood / The Wire / and now Game of Thrones on demand anymore through my cable box.
my thoughts exactly, not gonna be happy if they charge extra though to watch it on a tv, that's just stupid, i don't need to pay for hbo twice
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Free on consoles =

Spoiler

Not free =

Spoiler

I wanted to find a gif of the Mountain beheading his horse, but this'll do
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Free on consoles =

Spoiler

Not free =

Spoiler

I wanted to find a gif of the Mountain beheading his horse, but this'll do
Got you covered, bro.

Spoiler

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Microsoft is adding a lot more content. Hopefully the PS3 gets HBO Go soon.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...o_Xbox_360.php