Looking for new soundcard and a headset to accompany it. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Looking for new soundcard and a headset to accompany it.

I finally decided to upgrade the audio section of my PC.

However. I have not yet decided on the final components.
I do have limited my decision to two headsets and two soundcards, however.

So in the headset section, we have the Roccat Kave against the Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital (a rebadged Tritton AVPro, basically)

while the soundcard section consists of Creative's new Titanium HD and ASUS' Xonar Essence STX.

What do you guys say? Which are the better components?

I mainly play games, so aside of audio quality, performance is important. Though I am going to buy a Athlon X6, so performance most likely isn't that much of a problem.

I am especially looking for some short reviews of the Tritton AVPro, I know some of you guys use.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:14 AM

What is your video card? Because most video cards have HDMI out and support 7.1 LPCM audio, negating the need for soundcards nowadays.

How and what are you connecting it to (speakers)?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 AM

I am running a NVIDIA Geforce 7800GS (256MB GDDR3) on a hybrid (AGP/PCIe, DDR1/DDR2, 939/AM2) mainboard from Asrock.

This is going to change soon, however. I am going to buy into an Asus Crosshair Formula II (since the Foxconn Destroyer I looked into before does not seem to be compatible with X6 CPUs) alongside a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 (1GB GDDR5).

As for the audio. I am using a Creative HS-950 USB headset which comes with it's own internal soundcard. But since I am looking into buying either the Roccat Kave or Sharkoon X-Tatic, I am in the need for a new soundcard.

HDMI isn't really an option. My set is still analog and I am not going to change that soon (I love my CRT display).

Also. I am really looking for something audiophile, hence the two soundcards I listed.

EDIT: Oh. And HDMI wouldn't be compatible to any headset on the market, either.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM

I just read that the sound won't be processed by the sound card but by the headset/speaker DAC, if I connect the whole thing through optical/coax.

The Xonar Essence STX is probably a no-go then, since it does not do 5.1/7.1 through analogue, right?

EDIT: I just saw that the Xonar Essence ST (PCI model that came some months after the release of the STX) offers a 7.1 upgrade path. I could get the daughter board for a mere 33 bucks.

Now the question is: Are PCI 2.2 cards compatible to the PCIe 1x slot?

Last edited by Blinx123; 07-30-2010 at 03:33 PM.