Thinking about getting PSP.... advantages and disadvantages, Do I need one? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Thinking about getting PSP.... advantages and disadvantages, Do I need one?

Hey everyone, Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this discussion I want to attempt to start, but I want to hear from all of you out there that have a PSP or PSP Go. I've haven't owned a hand held system since Game Gear or Neo Geo, but I've been thinking about getting a PSP lately. I have all 3 majors consoles, PS3, Xbox360 and Wii. I use those fine at home when I'm not watching Blu's, but figured I could use something for on the go, whether it be public transportation or spending the weekend out at the gf's parents. I also have an iPhone, but I don't use that for game much at all. Couple questions, fist obvious... do those of you that own it, like it? Love it? What are the game you enjoy the most?? I like a lot of sports games and the big release titles, and I'm sure MLB '10 will fit me fine as I love it on Ps3, but just looking for some more suggestions. Also, and this is a biggie, I collect and own a lot of Blu's. Are most Digital Copies now coming with the access to be able to download the movie to your PSP? I've downloaded a few Digital Copies to my iPhone, but this could be the clincher for me. thanks for all upcoming input (hopefully)

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM

I have both a Go and a 3000. I also still have a DS and a DSi. I'd say get a Go simply because it's the only current-gen "portable" that actually fits into your pocket. I will say that my 3000 is fantastic for plane rides and other long trips where I can watch a movie on it, but the Go is probably better in your situation. The Pause Game feature only found on the Go would fit well with the public transportation you've mentioned.

It also works as a fairly decent media player. Everything on it is drag and drop without any extra software needed for it.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
I have both a Go and a 3000. I also still have a DS and a DSi. I'd say get a Go simply because it's the only current-gen "portable" that actually fits into your pocket. I will say that my 3000 is fantastic for plane rides and other long trips where I can watch a movie on it, but the Go is probably better in your situation. The Pause Game feature only found on the Go would fit well with the public transportation you've mentioned.

It also works as a fairly decent media player. Everything on it is drag and drop without any extra software needed for it.
Indeed. My PSP3000 is pretty much my go-to device for media. I wish it was smaller and lighter but the 3000 serves my needs since there are games not yet on PSN that are still UMD only. It's a lot easier to use than the RCA Pearl mp3 player that I have right now, and for that reason, I take it with me when I go to the gym or something.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM

I've got a PSP, and to be honest, I don't like portable gaming for the most part, but Gran Turismo PSP makes it totally worth it. Completely excellent, very good, but also easy to pick up and put down.

To be honest, GTPSP is the only reason I think, to have a PSP.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
I've got a PSP, and to be honest, I don't like portable gaming for the most part, but Gran Turismo PSP makes it totally worth it. Completely excellent, very good, but also easy to pick up and put down.

To be honest, GTPSP is the only reason I think, to have a PSP.
Dissidia: Final Fantasy. Game pwns. Nuff said.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the tips so far... any input on the Digital Copies from Blu Ray's? Will most transfer onto PSP and/or Go? Sorry if I don't sound so knowledgeable about the differences between the "3000" and the "Go", it's because I really don't know better and I figure it's better to ask you guys here then get the run-around from some Best buy employee. I know you can pretty much download anything with the Go, the size is also a plus. I see the core system goes for about $209.00 on Amazon, whereas the 3000 goes for about $198 with a game such as Gran Turismo or Assassin's Creed with a movie and extra 2GB memory stick. Any other differences I should consider?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM

I like the PSP. I don't play it often anymore, but its great if you are going to be out of the house and need something to do. Games, movies, music, internet..hell yeah! There are alot of great games on it and as you said yourself, most movies nowadays come with digital copies that you can transfer right to it. I used to use it alot years ago when my job required me to travel, but since im home now, i dont use it too much. It's a great machine though.

I personally wouldnt get the Go though. Yeah, its smaller, but the lack of the UMD is a real killer. You can get a alot of cheap used or older games for the psp by buying them on UMD.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
I like the PSP. I don't play it often anymore, but its great if you are going to be out of the house and need something to do. Games, movies, music, internet..hell yeah! There are alot of great games on it and as you said yourself, most movies nowadays come with digital copies that you can transfer right to it. I used to use it alot years ago when my job required me to travel, but since im home now, i dont use it too much. It's a great machine though.

I personally wouldnt get the Go though. Yeah, its smaller, but the lack of the UMD is a real killer. You can get a alot of cheap used or older games for the psp by buying them on UMD.
Agree with all above. It's a really nice little device with a decent selection of games that you could get for $10-20 a piece nowadays (On UMD, so get a PSP3000).
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

You don't need one.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtower41 View Post
Thanks for the tips so far... any input on the Digital Copies from Blu Ray's? Will most transfer onto PSP and/or Go?
It's kind of touch and go on the digital copies. If I'm remembering this correctly, Sony movies will automatically have an option to transfer digital copies from a PS3 to a PSP, so it's relatively painless, but other studios have DRM and/or other weird impediments that prevent transfer of their movies to the PSP unless you have some software like DVD Fab Platinum. I think The Matrix, for example, is one of those movies where the digital copy won't work on the PSP unless you mod it with software like the one mentioned above.