MS to stop Xbox V1 Game Live Support - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Default MS to stop Xbox V1 Game Live Support

Not sure if this has been posted yet but got this e-mail this morning.

Xbox LIVE System Maintenance
View mobile friendly View in a browser

On April 15, 2010, we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox games playable on Xbox v1 and Xbox 360. In our continuing efforts to evolve the service, we need to make changes to the LIVE service that are not compatible with original Xbox v1 games.

What does this change mean for you?
It does not affect your ability to play original Xbox v1 games offline, but does remove LIVE connectivity and support for online multiplayer, leader boards, and other online features of these games.
We realize that you are an avid Halo 2 fan. Unfortunately, with this change, you will not be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE going forward.
Although it is difficult to say goodbye to Halo 2, the Halo franchise continues as the benchmark for multiplayer gaming in this generation with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and soon Halo: Reach. On the Xbox 360, you will continue to have access to the LIVE service where you can enjoy hundreds of other LIVE-enabled games.

When will this change take effect?
April 15, 2010.

What is Xbox LIVE doing for me?
To thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE customer, we are giving you a free, three-month LIVE Gold membership and 400 Microsoft Points for you to use as you choose on Xbox LIVE.
In addition, because you've been so loyal to Halo, we are inviting you to participate in the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

How do I get these offers?
You will receive a token for 400 MS points. Check your Xbox LIVE account messages on the console. These points can be used for 365 days after you activate your token.
We are extending your Gold membership by three months automatically. The extension will be directly reflected in your LIVE account.
Finally, as the beta gets closer, you will receive an e-mail containing the code granting you access to the exclusive Halo: Reach Beta.

Thank you for being a loyal Xbox LIVE member. Please visit xbox.com/support if you have any questions or for more information.

The Xbox LIVE Team
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

it's such bullshit and a way to make people buy a 360 now if you don't have one and a way for them to market their other products such as halo 3, halo 3 odst, halo reach. I've been a member for 5+years and played halo 2 for more than 2 years constantly and purchased all the dlc map packs and got nothing. this is more of a way for them to be nice about cutting off support, online features and such but at the same time a way for them to increase sales and such.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Go 2 Guy View Post
it's such bullshit and a way to make people buy a 360 now if you don't have one and a way for them to market their other products such as halo 3, halo 3 odst, halo reach. I've been a member for 5+years and played halo 2 for more than 2 years constantly and purchased all the dlc map packs and got nothing. this is more of a way for them to be nice about cutting off support, online features and such but at the same time a way for them to increase sales and such.
A way to make them buy the 360? I think you are like 4 years late. They discontinued the xbox 4 years ago. Yeah you could play online still...but there have been no new games for 4 years.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Meh....makes sense I guess. I haven't played online on my xbox since Capcom cut their servers for Steel Battalion: Line of Contact.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM

*sigh* There goes the 300+ hours I put on PSO. God I loved that game.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
A way to make them buy the 360? I think you are like 4 years late. They discontinued the xbox 4 years ago. Yeah you could play online still...but there have been no new games for 4 years.
The only gripe would be that the people who are playing Xbox 1 games are playing it on their 360's.

I was for a while.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

This is bullshit. I got to think there are exclusive Xbox games NOT released on PC with online play that people want.
Maybe it's just a few but if MS was decent about it they'd pass the info whereby people can enable the online separately, even set up a server where it wasn't available before. If not, I hope people find some way to get the info to do it regardless of MS's protests.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM

This was brought up before in smackdown section I believe. I'm all for it if it paves the way for more features for LIVE. I don't think there's all that much demand for supporting MP aspects from a console of last generation long after that console lost support already.

What's worse and REALLY fucking epic bullshit is things like EA pulls... dropping MP support for games THIS generation as 'new' as 2009 versions. THAT is shady.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post
This was brought up before in smackdown section I believe. I'm all for it if it paves the way for more features for LIVE. I don't think there's all that much demand for supporting MP aspects from a console of last generation long after that console lost support already.

What's worse and REALLY fucking epic bullshit is things like EA pulls... dropping MP support for games THIS generation as 'new' as 2009 versions. THAT is shady.
Well if Phantom Crash's online would have had respawning you better believe that would be one people would still pop in like Halo 2.
No offense to the people that like Chromehounds but Phantom Crash was fucking insane with the possibilities in my opinion. It was Virtual On but with buildings and such you could hide in and attack from when your enemy mech moved in.
What about "Phantom Dust" as well? I got to think some people are STILL using MP on that for online.
Why doesn't MS just release the software to let people online this stuff without them? I mean it's not like they didn't make more then enough on these games with Live and the online fee when they provided NO server for said games.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Phantom Dust was one of the best Xbox 1 games released. I loved it online. The game was just insanely fun and original. And I think it launched at a $20 price tag.

Sucks that I can never play the online again.