Microsoft device uses the skin as a touchscreen - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Microsoft device uses the skin as a touchscreen

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...-a-touchscreen

Emma Woollacott | Wed 3rd Mar 2010, 04:28 am
#technology #hardware #carnegie-mellon-university
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Stumbleupon Share on Digg Share this article
Add / View comments

Microsoft and Carnegie Mellon University are working on a gadget that turns the user's arm into a touchscreen display.

The technology, dubbed Skinput, consists of a projector which creates a keyboard on the wearer's arm or hand, and an armband containing sensors which picks up the vibrations when the user taps the 'keys'. Commands are then transmitted to the device being controlled through a wireless link.

"This approach provides an always available, naturally portable, and on-body finger input system," say the developers.

"Results from our experiments have shown that our system performs very well for a series of gestures, even when the body is in motion."

There are two types of sensor: one which picks up a particular, low-frequency acoustic band corresponding to waves transmitted through the rippling of skin, and the other sensitive to higher frequencies to capture signals transmitted through bone.

They tried out various set-ups, including a hierarchical menu, a scrolling menu and a numeric keypad.

With ten different 'keys' to tap, the researchers found that the system had an accuracy of over 80 percent - much higher for fewer locations. It even worked well while jogging, but was a lot less efficient with the overweight.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Omni Tools !!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrbass2000 View Post

With ten different 'keys' to tap, the researchers found that the system had an accuracy of over 80 percent - much higher for fewer locations. It even worked well while jogging, but was a lot less efficient with the overweight.
Neat, but this part made me chuckle.
1. 8-% axcurscy.. hoq grest wol; that ne?
(40 characters - 8 incorrect = 80% accuracy - I know that the technology will get better, I just think 80% isn't much to bark about yet)
2. Less efficient with overweight (who are they marketing it to? frequent users of computer technology? See Here for a study on obesity relating to internet and computer use )
3. Worked well while jogging.. again? Nerds jogging?
reminder:
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Jesus Christ grasp... we don't need to see pictures from your family album.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Omni Tools !!!!
exactly what i was thinking

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Omni Tools !!!!
Actually, that's the Wii.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/t...sound-2009087/
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Televator View Post
Holy fuck.. this technology is mind blowingly cool. Maybe those ARI glasses in Heavy Rain aren't so Sci-fi after all.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Hah! Nice! I was really trying to find a pic of a fat dude with a really cutting edge computer or something, but my google skillz are lacking. Best I could do was "Fat Computer Nerd" image search.

I agree, this does sound quite cool - but certainly those points stood out to me as funny.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Just admit it grasp. That's a pic of your sweet 16 birthday when mom and pops bought you that cutting edge 386 PC with a whooping 4MB of Ram.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

I don't even want to know what they will use that ultrasound for in the future with holographic dakota fannings.