Sony buys Media Molecule - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Default Sony buys Media Molecule

Good move for Sony. Also - good move for MM, because Sony has a tendency to let their developers sort of do their own thing (within reason, of course) and experiment with new ip's and ideas and shit.

http://kotaku.com/5483776/sony-buys-...media-molecule

Quote:
Sony liked LittleBigPlanet so much they bought the company, as Media Molecule becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment.

Announced via a posting on the European PlayStation Blog, Media Molecule, the developers behind PlayStation 3 smash-hit LittleBigPlanet, have been purchased by Sony Computer Entertainment for an undisclosed sum, making them an official part of the Sony family. While the developer only has one game under their belt, Sony Europe studios boss Michael Denny says there's much more in the pipeline, and then posted an extensive list of awards won by LittleBigPlanet to further justify the move.

"The most important thing is that nothing will change from your perspective; Media Molecule will simply continue to make great games. Welcoming Media Molecule into the PlayStation family will allow us to better support their future titles and ambitions."

Media Molecule commented on the sale in the official press release.

"Since Media Molecule's inception, we've had a uniquely close relationship with Sony. Over the years they have consistently shown their dedication to Creative Gaming and Media Molecule, not only through their support of the company, but their willingness to take risks and embrace our often unusual approach and ideas." said Alex Evans, co-founder of Media Molecule. "What we've achieved already with LittleBigPlanet has proved this to us and we're excited by this new chapter of innovation and creative gaming, for all involved."
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 PM

I wonder what they've been doing the past year and a half.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
I wonder what they've been doing the past year and a half.
LittleBigPlanet PSP and they have other contracts in the works.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Formerly the13stuff

I'm surprised it took this long honestly.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13stuff View Post
I'm surprised it took this long honestly.
Same here.

Kudos to Sony and MM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM

I thought they already did? Well, good for both of them. LittleBigPlanet was pretty much the game that made me start to really appreciate my PS3. Golf Clap all around.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Good move on Sony's part. We could almost have a smackdown topic on this to as many have bitched about "tactics" like this from other platform holders
Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingtotalass View Post
Good move on Sony's part. We could almost have a smackdown topic on this to as many have bitched about "tactics" like this from other platform holders
I don't see the point in smackdown for this, but feel free to make one I guess.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
I don't see the point in smackdown for this, but feel free to make one I guess.
I'm not going down that road, i've just seen guys like Indy having very colorful things to say about a smart move like this
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
HDD Contributor

I just hope they don't go the way of Sony Liverpool. Wipeout HD is the most brilliant futuristic racer this generation, it's criminal that those guys went through the wringer.