PS3 Motion Controls - 6Axis - any games besides Lair, Heavenly Blade & Heavy Rain? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Default PS3 Motion Controls - 6Axis - any games besides Lair, Heavenly Blade & Heavy Rain?

I heard the MC on Lair sucked and HB used it more as a gimmick... The little I played of Heavy Rain (1st intro section) was interesting... from playing with the kids to the bathroom tasks...

I didnt get very far before I had to do other stuff and watch some shows and then the leap year problem hit...

so is there any other games that use the 6A in any meaningful manner?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM

flOwer and flOw aren't bad. I think people quickly realised it's better as just a catch all for when you need an extra button, rather than a control scheme.

Also, the MC in Heavenly Sword made the game unplayable for me. I couldn't get past the second chapter until I turned it off because it was so sluggish and unresponsive. As soon as I turned it off in the options menu (stupidly labeled "aftertouch" which is the name of that mechanic, not the system used to control the mechanic) I had no issues using the analog stick. Others have said they had no issue with the MC though so it seems to depend on how well you deal with them.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
HDD Contributor

Folklore also has some SixAxis "accented" control mechanisms here and there. Like when you pull a soul out of a monster you're beating down on, you yank up on the controller to do the finishing move, as one example.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Uncharted, gta4, ratchet and clank future Tod all use it sparingly
Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Marvel:UA used it for QTE, but it made the game much worse.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM

I really liked it in the Uncharted games, as well as in Flower. Didn't like it in Lair, Liked it in Motorstorm quite a bit, liked it in Heavenly sword, did not like it in "Flow".. like at all, seemed broken.

The best was GRAW2, flick it down to hit the ground, etc.. Genius! Wayy quicker than holding the button in COD4 for 3 or 5 seconds etc. You could even roll around using it, or lean around corners. GRAW2 was awesome in that regard, and I'd be real happy if every fps adopted this control scheme.

Overall, I could do completely without rumble and without tilt. Tilt seems like such a bad idea anyways.. don't you think? How many of you can do "labyrinth" accurately?

I have done it before, but it's really tough, and honestly, relying on this to control on screen action is.. tricky at best.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Warhawk used it but was too wonky for me and you can't forget Super RubaDub!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Games I'm aware of that implement SixAxis:
Batman Arkham Asylum uses it for guiding cape gliding and shaking off foes. It has to be activated, though.

Infamous uses it near the very end. It sort of works well in the way it's placed, but, again, it's only used with your last power up.

Killzone 2 uses it for turning valves (gimmicky and distracting) and scope steadiness with the sniper rifle. I actually really like the way it's used for the sniper, as it jostles your scope view if you move the controller while trying to hit targets.

Metal Gear Solid lets you/Snake "shake away" your camouflage.

Uncharted had you keep your balance with the controller while crossing tight platforms. Uncharted 2 removed this, which I didn't understand. I don't ever recall falling off a tight walk in Uncharted, so maybe that's why? Both games use it for grenade throwing.

Grand Theft Auto 4 let you use motion controls both on foot and in certain vehicles. I actually considered re-buying it for the PS3 just because of this feature, but then I remembered how much I didn't enjoy the game. Search Youtube videos for this feature, as people put up videos of how the SixAxis is implemented. I know that you could use it to steer the motorcycle, control the angle of the helicopter, and shake it while on foot to reload (I sometimes pretend my controller is a machine gun during loading with PS1,PS2, & PS3 games, so this seemed kind of funny that this motion would actually be used in a game).

I wonder if God of War 3 will use it at all.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ebbtide View Post
Metal Gear Solid lets you/Snake "shake away" your camouflage.
Don't forget the hidden mini game where you beat off Otacon.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Don't forget the hidden mini game where you beat off Otacon.
Wait what?