Ken Lobb: Killer Instinct Has a Place on the XBLA - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Ken Lobb: Killer Instinct Has a Place on the XBLA

Quote:
When people mention classic games that they want brought on to the Xbox Live Arcade, Rare's classic, Killer Instinct, always seems to feature in some way or another.

Speaking with X360A at X10, Microsoft's General Manager for Live and Creative Director for Microsoft Game Studios, Ken Lobb, said he had fond memories of his brainchild and mentioned that they were constantly in discussions over the title.

"Ahhhh, Killer Instinct, another one of my babies," mused Lobb. "I obviously have personal feelings about Killer Instinct, but I do think it’s got a place and again it makes that sort of sense... "Let’s bring something that people loved in the past and see how it does on the Live Arcade." Again, we haven’t started anything yet, so don’t freak out, but Killer Instinct is something that we’re constantly talking about."

When pressed on whether the franchise would ever get a true current generation sequel, Lobb reveals that they actually started on the sequel after Killer Instinct 2.

"Actually after KI2, we started KI3 so there was some early work done on it," Lobb revealed. "Someday, maybe. I think in some ways – again, we don’t have any plans – but if we were going to do a KI3, we’d probably start with KI1 on XBLA, you know to a.) see if everyone is still interested in the IP, but also as a reminder of what it was like."

"Street Fighter is a great example of that, right?" he continued, "They obviously did Street Fighter 4 last year very successfully, but right before it, Street Fighter HD. It sold very well. I’ve always been a huge fighting game fan so I never really “got out” of Street Fighter, but when Street Fighter HD came out, I played the crap out of it. I was excited to get Street Fighter 4. I think the same thing could work."

This news will surely raise a smile to the faces of fans of the series and hopefully the original will become more than just "constant" talks in the coming weeks/months/years. Well, at least we hope so.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...-the-XBLA.html

O come on Rare!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM

KI3!!!! Wouldn't mind a KI1 HD Remix.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 AM

I dont think either KI1 or 2 will be coming to XBL. What are they going to with all the Nintendo logos in the game? When your emulating a rom (and in KIs case, a HDD image) you cant make em disappear.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Hmmm. Maybe if Perfect Dark on XBLA sells well they will do an HD remake of KI. I can always dream.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coN View Post
I dont think either KI1 or 2 will be coming to XBL. What are they going to with all the Nintendo logos in the game? When your emulating a rom (and in KIs case, a HDD image) you cant make em disappear.
If they make a remix then it should be fine.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM

Well i suppose they could draw over the sprites (yes theyre sprites) and completely cover the Nintendo logos. But what about the announcement of "Coming soon to the Nintendo Ultra 64".

I dunno how they would draw over the backgrounds and sprites. SF2 has a more simplistic design and that went way over budget when it came to drawing over the sprites. But then again, they had to rebuild parts of the fighting engine and it was going to be delayed again before its release.

Why another delay? They wanted to finish the background animations. Play STHD then go back to regular ST and youll be like me: You wouldve wanted it to be delayed cause the lifeless backgrounds in STHD drive you crazy.

But in anycase, if somehow KI1 makes it online, youll see nothing but Cinder, Orchid and Riptor.

KI2 fucking sucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

What? Did the arcade version have Nintendo all over it?

I imagine the XBLA version would be an arcade port/remix.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:31 PM

You werent around during the arcade era were ya?

Heres a KI primer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRDb5OKsPZk
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coN View Post
But in anycase, if somehow KI1 makes it online, youll see nothing but Cinder, Orchid and Riptor.
No different than any other fighter.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Man I loved this game back in the day. My brother and I spent countless hours playing it in the arcade. Jago was my go-to guy while my bro was a Cinder fella (heh).