Deadly Premonition is GOTY material! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Default Deadly Premonition is GOTY material!

Okay, I'm going to start this thread with this little wiki quote.

Quote:
The game puts the player in the role of a young FBI agent named Francis York Morgan who is investigating a murder outside the fictional American town of Rainy Woods. York happens to have an alternate personality, Zach, which the player can control at certain points in the game.[3] The player will be able to cover the town's 8 kilometre diameter by foot or by car, and the game will also feature a day-and-night system with weather changes that will affect the visuals. The game will also feature several timed-events which supposedly changes direction of the story at some points.[4]
Yes, your character is named, Francis York Morgan. You can call him, York, everyone else does.

This game is called, Deadly Premonition. It implies that the character, or game, is of a supernatural ilk. This is true. What's also true of the title is that most will not need a supernatural power to avoid this, just a little commonsense will do.

Iím going to start with, the controls...theyíre bad. Like really, really bad. If you had to come up with a description for them, itíd be a ďdrunken Resident Evil 4Ē clone. The aiming works, sort of. You see, the devs were nice enough to include a "tame" button. Some will probably call it a "lock on", but letís to call it a "tame" button. The reasoning for this is that the cursor seems to be the crosshair to a proton pack. It just wants to do it's own thing. It's naughty. You have to tame it with the "tame" button. In addition, like RE 4/5, the camera is behind you and over the shoulder except, when the additional drama of a scene requires the use of a birdís eye view. Trust me, there's tons of drama.

Now, besides just people controls, there's vehicle controls. The image that describes the controls looks like thisÖ

If walking around wasn't fun enough, (there's a walking introduction where you are to run some 6 miles.) you get a police car. It controls like a sedated rhino. The speedometer goes to like 120mph or so, but the max you can do is 50mph, which, given the size of the map is very fast. However, if they made it faster, you'd probably wreck the thing (it has health), or run out of gas (yes, you have gas.). Therefore, it's probably for the best. I mean, it lets you take in all that beautiful scenery.

All this talk of beautiful scenery has probably got you all wet for the graphics. Well, I hope youíre aroused because itís a looker. So, you've played a PS2 game, right? Well, have you played a PS2 game in "high def"? If the answer is, "No!Ē then, fellas, this is your lucky day! This game is straight off that old Emotion Engine block, and it's looking for some action...some sweet, sweet 360 action. It's sexy. Like Joan Rivers in a bikini sexy.

I'm going to mention the sound now. I'm going to break it up into three parts.

Part 1: The Soundtrack

The soundtrack is utterly amazing. The music and how it melds with the scenes is fantastic. When you're in the midst of serious debate the trumpets wail in the background. All of this is to remind you of the chaos. Itís just brilliant. I don't think there's been a soundtrack quite liked this, ever. I know, it's a daring thing to say what with Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, Bioshock 2, and Bayonetta, but it really is that good. It's somewhat hard to describe because the mood it creates is all its own. It's so good that it rewrites the rules.

Part 2: The Voice Acting

The voice acting is one for the books. When great dialog like, "My coffee was right! Today is going to be a special day." or "This lady is easy on the eyes. I better not tell her about what I just saw or she'll think I'm psycho." Well, you need quality work. It's like someone got all the bad actors from Shenmue, Resident Evil, and Castle Shingami, and got them to bring their A game. It's awe-inspiring. The fact they get the zombies to say, "Change!" or "I don't wanna die!" with such ferocious passion is just a testament to the quality of the VA. Seriously, you've never heard it this good.

Part 3: Sound Effects

Do you like the sound of feet hitting wet ground? Do you think most games merely get that effect, and make it sound like you're walking in shit? Well, this game takes that to 11. It's as if you're walking in a whole sea of shit. Yes, it fantastically renders the sound of walking in a wet environment. You'll hear every foot spatter, and every zombie creature shift through it. The sounds of the guns are something that can best be described as; putting your hands together and making it break wind.

Now, the game starts with a series of odd mishaps. You get into an accident because you got spooked. You hit a tree, and start wondering the forest. The trees bleed, and dogs are horrifically murdered. Obviously, this isn't just some regular forest it's a, Spooky Forest. So, you make way to the sheds and have to power up the generators. Luckily, they are all just simply shut off, and you only have to press a button. Itís all pretty easy, right? Well, if trees bleeding, and dogs dying weren't spooky enough...YOU GOT ZOMBIES! Yes, zombies emerge from the ground. The first thing they say is, "Cccchhhaaannnggggeee!!!" It'll make you reach for your wallet just to get rid of them. Itís so spooky! However, this character, though he has money, decides that it's best to shoot them. Instead of giving them money, he saids, "That giving money to the homeless is a temporary solution to a long term problem. So, instead, I have a permanent solution, and these are merely temporary problems."* Countless murdered zombies later (Or, if you're feeling athletic you just run pass them.)...

You emerge on the highway. The scene is bare, and the distance you must trek is quite long. The character states, ďIt's about 6 miles to the nearest town and that you had better start walking.Ē

After you run the 6 miles, you are introduced to your first set of characters, Emily and George. Emily is the deputy. "She's really easy on the eyes.", as York so eloquently puts it. George...well, George is the sheriff. You can tell George wears the star because he has a handle bar mustache. It's an uncommonly known requirement of the force. If you are sheriff, then you have to have a handle bar mustache. Yes, this includes women**.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the politeness of the main character, York. This guy loves to introduce himself. He loves it so much, that right after he's done it for one character, he'll immediately do it again, "Hi, I'm detective Francis York Morgan. You can call me York. Everyone else does." Well, after he introduces himself to Emily, he stops and talks to himself in front of her. "I better not talk about what I just saw or she'll think I'm crazy." York is so considerate. He's keeping the knowledge of nearby Zombies to himself because he has a boner. What a guy!

For this, I'm just going to link this video...
Hotel Dinner

I'm literally just after this scene in the game. After this scene, you are given your car, and are set to drive around the town. It's lush and filled with small details. It's just brimming with life. There are phones, long stretches of roads, construction sites, shops, and homes. It's as if the developers captured small town America, and coded it right onto the disc.

I'm currently trying to make sense of this whole mystery. This detective has got a lot of work to do...

*Doesn't actually say that. Though, you can tell he was thinking it.

**However, they usually have to take hormones before they get the promotion.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 02-25-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 PM

awesome review T-roy, almost makes me want to waste $20
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM

This is the hardest I have laughed in a long time. I actually have tears running down my face after reading this part.

"You like the sound of feet hitting wet ground? Do you think most games merely get that effect, and make it sound like your walking in shit? Well, this game takes that to 11. It's like you walking in a whole sea of shit."

Oh man I cant laugh anymore my stomache hurts.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM

I want this game so bad...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM

My copy will be here tomorrow. Only cost $24 from amazon with next day air.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM

This will probably outsell heavy rain based off the strength of this review
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM

This could be the Snakes on a Plane of video games. So bad it's good... but actually it's just bad.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Add to the gamerscore. Couldn't be any worse than a few on here playing Hannah Montana for easy points.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
This will probably outsell heavy rain based off the strength of this review
This was the best review ive ever read. Laughed the whole time. I still think that the part about walking in shit should be in somebodies sig.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm currently in the hospital checking up on the body of a murder victim, Anna Graham. No, I'm not making that name up. So far, I've been introduced to the town's token Black Man, Ushah Johnson, M.D.. He's the town's doctor. Supposedly, there's only one of them in a massively huge hospital. He also likes to play games. In a scene, that literally made me pee my pants, Emily says a hilarious bit, but I need to set the scene up. So...

*Your group steps into the office of, Ushah Johnson, M.D.. In the room, there are posters decorating the wall. The posters are of chess pieces. The computer in the room shows the image of a set of pieces configured in a active game.*

Francis York Morgan (aka York): Hmm, this doctor likes to play games.

Emily stands next to a big old poster that states: Chess Tournament Master.

Emily: What do you mean?

Seriously, I laughed so hard.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.