Square-Enix: A FFVII Remake Would Take 10-12 Years - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Thumbs down Square-Enix: A FFVII Remake Would Take 10-12 Years

Ten to twelve YEARS! to remake Final Fantasy Seven?
Oh hell no! Square Enix!
And here I had the idea that Wadas "identical" BS was maxxed and then along comes this:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6634.html

Square-Enix: A FFVII Remake Would Take 10-12 Years

I hated math in school but I still I should be able to better understand Square-Enix's comments here.

Okay, so while the idea of a Final Fantasy VII remake is always a hot topic amongst RPG fans, Square-Enix has taken to providing the press with one explanation as to why it really can't happen: it would simply take too long. This has been difficult for people to understand, but it seems as if the company doesn't wish to devote a huge amount of resources to a remake; i.e, they don't want to make it the focal point of their development studio, which they apparently would have to do. See what you think about the following statement from FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase, who provided TechDigest (as spotted by Connected Consoles) with this:

"If it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we'd very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it's looking pretty unrealistic! But if any such situation came about by any remote chance, then yes, we'd do it!"

Okay, so basically, he's saying it's impossible. But why, why would a remake take "three or four times longer" than it took to make FFXIII? WHY? I'm having extreme difficulty with this one. I am aware the graphical upgrade would have to start from scratch, but didn't you have to make other things for FFXIII that already exist for FFVII? Like, the story? The setting? The characters? The freakin' dialogue should stay the same, too, as far as I'm concerned. So you're telling me that a graphical (and sound, I suppose) overhaul would take 10-12 years to do? ...what does that even mean?! I confuzled.

http://connectedconsoles.com/ps3-Squ...mad::mad::mad:
Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 PM

i personally fail to see how that is possible. considering the source material is already there. ff13 took 3 and a half years and that was started from scratch. story had to be written, characters designed, dialogue written, EVERYTHING. and it took 3 and a half years, this would just be a matter of taking the source material already there and re doing it in hd. which admittedly would take longer than it sounds, but it wouldnt take a decade i dont think.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Shitty logic is shitty.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM

What I find amusing about this statement is that it logically implies that he believes FF XIII is 67%-75% less sophisticated than FF VII.

Yes, FF VII, a game from 1997.

It's like SE *wants* everyone to think their new game is shit. Unbelievable.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
What I find amusing about this statement is that it logically implies that he believes FF XIII is 67%-75% less sophisticated than FF VII.

Yes, FF VII, a game from 1997.

It's like SE *wants* everyone to think their new game is shit. Unbelievable.
Kind of like how Hideo Kojima said, with a straight face, that he wasn't entirely satisfied with Metal Gear Solid 4.

(Despite it turning out to be pretty damned epic)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Kind of like how Hideo Kojima said, with a straight face, that he wasn't entirely satisfied with Metal Gear Solid 4.

(Despite it turning out to be pretty damned epic)
To be exact, he said he'd give MGS4 a 1/10.

Which was so absurd that no one in their right mind took it seriously.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
To be exact, he said he'd give MGS4 a 1/10.

Which was so absurd that no one in their right mind took it seriously.
Well, it might have something to do with his reputation.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Watcher of stances

moved to game room
Old 02-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Well, I guess if they would have started when they made that tech demo they COULD be halfway done by now. And since the ps3 has a 10 year life span, it would be perfect timing
Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Does this mean we also won't get a Halo trilogy remake from Bungie using the new Reach engine because they can now claim it will take thirty years... "just ask Square Enix" they'll say?