Dante's Inferno - what do you think of it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Default Dante's Inferno - what do you think of it?

I am pretty far into the game now and I am just not liking it that much. I hate the fact that you can't control the camera and have to rely on just accidentally noticing things. I hate the fact that it is just a series of areas where you walk in, a border or fence springs up around you, and you are attacked by enemies until you finally kill them all and the border or fence magically disappears. I hate the quicktime events. I am tired of pressing "B" repeatedly to open doors or absolve people. Yes, developers, I can press the "B" button fast, this does not increase my enjoyment of the game.

I am very glad that I rented this game instead of buying it. I had it pre-ordered before the demo came out because I loved Dante's Inferno (most specifically, the Pinsky translation) and wanted to see what they could do with a game. I have been fairly disappointed in it.

Am I alone here? What do you guys think of this game?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

I haven't even touched my copy yet. Might sit around for awhile yet as I am still not done my Insanity playthrough of ME2. I also have Bioshock 2 on the go as well and next week, Heavy Rain hits.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
I haven't even touched my copy yet. Might sit around for awhile yet as I am still not done my Insanity playthrough of ME2. I also have Bioshock 2 on the go as well and next week, Heavy Rain hits.
Holy shit, that has to be hard!

I tried it for a moment and decided that I didn't want to buy a bunch of new controllers from all the throwing and hitting them with hammers and such.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM

How is the story though? That was my main reason for wanting to eventually get this.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
How is the story though? That was my main reason for wanting to eventually get this.
Well, it is kinda strange, actually... it doesn't really follow the poem. I don't quite understand what they were doing with Beatrice, as she was not in "Inferno" at all. In fact, the entire story of the game has nothing to do with "The Divine Comedy" at all.

In the poem, Dante was just a man at the crossroads of his life and lacking a proper path to righteousness and he contemplates suicide and things of that nature. His descent into hell is his confrontation and rejection of sin on his way to paradise. This is nothing like what happens in the game in any way. The game has Dante betray his wife and various things, thus getting her damned to hell after betting her soul to Satan that he will be true. These things have nothing to do with "Inferno" at all.

The story is pretty good if you don't compare it to the actual poem, or at least to my memory of the poem. If you, like me, loved "The Divine Comedy," the game will leave you scratching your head and wondering why they called it "Dante's Inferno."

Last edited by IceNine; 02-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Developers who use the B or circle button for QTEs need to be punched in the face. Having just played through X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the last boss fight is ridiculous because they have you hammering B for ten minutes straight. If youre going to give me a QTE with tight timming, use the fucking X/Square button. It's too hard to hold the controller and hammer on the outside button and there's no logical reason not to make in the inside button.

/soapbox

P.S. Will play this game for points and I'm expecting it to suck.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
Developers who use the B or circle button for QTEs need to be punched in the face. Having just played through X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the last boss fight is ridiculous because they have you hammering B for ten minutes straight.
I've never been good at mash events anyway.. I wound up plugging in an old PS2 fight stick that had a turbo mode to get past the sentinel. I don't remember the final boss being as bad as that.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Wabbits View Post
I've never been good at mash events anyway.. I wound up plugging in an old PS2 fight stick that had a turbo mode to get past the sentinel. I don't remember the final boss being as bad as that.
The ones in Dante's Inferno aren't hard, so it's not like you really need a turbo mode. I mean they're more there just to to simulate effort on the part of Dante to do the action and possibly to give the game time to stream in what's behind the door while keeping the player occupied.

I played and finished Dante's Inferno, and personally I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great. It feels a little short and by the book and never really extends itself into the territory of greatness that it strives for. It does however have some nice visual spots at times, and is crippled by terrible puzzle design (Greed) at others.

My honest opinion is it's a rental for most people, and it doesn't have much replay value. They probably should have had the coop dungeon stuff out of the box if it wanted to be competitive in the current market. It just doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out product as is.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Wish I could answer...preordered this from Amazon and its been in transit for almost 2 weeks. Utterly ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post
Wish I could answer...preordered this from Amazon and its been in transit for almost 2 weeks. Utterly ridiculous.
Give them a call and let them know that they need to compensate you for the serious delay.

They hide their phone number, but it is 800-201-7575.