PS4 Pro and 4K - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 PM

The demand for 4K has been flaccid. We don't need new hardware until the PC is really pushing tech the current consoles can't handle, which is a long way off. Not to mention S9ny and MS are not looking forward to another billion dollar investment.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 AM

I have the Pro connected directly to the TV
Old 07-25-2018, 11:27 AM

For those of you that bought a PS4 Pro - any regrets? I'm going to sell off all my weightlifting equipment on craigslist in the next couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to wind up with around $500. I'm thinking I might use it to buy a Pro, since my PS4 has become the kids console. They've just about pushed me out of the living room at this point, so I was thinking I would get a Pro for the office area.

Also, is it difficult to transfer save data over to a second console? I've never had to do that before. I am not currently paying for PSN+, so I'm hoping I could do that with a USB stick?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:07 PM

No regrets if you're actively using the platform (I'm not so it's more like apathy for me especially that games like NiOh and Yakuza are on PC). It's far quieter and the enhancements wherever available were worth it. Boost mode has been extremely helpful with some titles that don't hit their target frame rate well on base hardware.

Transferring saves through USB is doable so no worries there.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 PM

No regrets but I use PSVR a lot and the Pro makes an easily noticeable difference there.
When you set up the Pro it will ask you if you want to copy data from an existing PS4. I think I used a LAN cable between them for the actual transfer which was soooooo freekin slow but gave me a clone of my PS4 on the Pro.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM

That might actually be perfect in my case, because most of what's on my existing PS4 hard drive is data I would want on the Pro. I could just delete off the kids games from it once it's done cloning.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
That might actually be perfect in my case, because most of what's on my existing PS4 hard drive is data I would want on the Pro. I could just delete off the kids games from it once it's done cloning.
Yah if you delete the games themselves the copy over won't take that long at all.

I know you aren't into VR but the Pro is better than the regular PS4 regardless of VR.

You may find some sweet deals.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I know you aren't into VR but the Pro is better than the regular PS4 regardless of VR.

You may find some sweet deals.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
You will eventually

The Dark Side is STRONG....TOO STRONG to resist

Old 07-26-2018, 03:32 AM

PS4 Pro entirely obsoletes vanilla PS4. Zero regrets, and I have zero 4k output hardware and no PS VR.

Itís significantly better hardware that produces clearly superior results ó and yet still a good value. No-brainer purchase. Anyone buying vanilla PS4 at this point is being silly unless literally couldnít spare another penny. Upgrading from an existing vanilla PS4 is a different matter but still very reasonable. Selling the vanilla console on Craigslist is a trivial matter, and it will net you a cheap upgrade in visuals. Vanilla hardware has held its value nicely, since thereís a giant market for penny-pinching gamers out there who are happy to buy a $100-150 used PS4.

Itís much like upgrading to a newer iPhone. Every couple of years that makes financial sense ó so does this; except consoles are sold at a loss and thus a better value than phones. Basically, Sony used common sense to create a healthy platform. A nice turnaround from the days of Krazy Ken Kutaragi.

As others have noted, cloning an existing vanilla PS4 is a trivial matter.

P.S. For the console warriors looking for a slip-up on my part ó no, this Iím no way contradicts my past statement that Pro was unnecessary. It was unnecessary. That doesnít make it BAD, however. PS4 wouldíve been a fine platform on the strength of its library. Pro just improves it.

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 07-26-2018 at 03:46 AM.