Possible leaked specs of Playstation 5 "Project Epsilon" - Page 8 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:31 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,824
Default

Quote:
Windows 10 is present on close to 700 million PCs, 10% of the world’s population, which in theory should mean a growing and even thriving market for Microsoft Store developers.

Unlike other stores, however, Microsoft has never released any information on how much money they have paid out to developers, and have become increasingly reluctant to share how many applications they have in the Store.

We, therefore, turned to a developer of a somewhat high profile and unique app in the Microsoft Store, to get an insider perspective, and as expected things are not pretty.

Webrox is a French multi-platform developer who started in 2011, initially on iOS and Android, and the also expanding to Windows Phone and the Microsoft Store. Their flagship app is Tubecast, an app which amongst other features lets Windows users send video wirelessly to a Google Chromecast dongle. The app has had more than 1 million downloads in the Store, and has formed the basis of other apps such as Spoticast, Tubecast VR, Video 360, LanDrive and more, who all offer unique features not normally available to Windows users.

We asked the CEO, Stéphane Graziano about their performance given the changing marketplace for apps, expecting some growth in line with the growth of the Windows 10 platform.

Unfortunately, we were disappointed, with Stéphane noting “there is absolutely no adoption for the Windows Store, even with the user growth, because nobody care.”

Stéphane feels Windows is simply not an app platform anymore, noting “when you start your computer, you are going to the web and use File Explorer. Optionally if you are a worker or student you could use Office, but you would never go to Windows Store, why would you go there ?”

Windows is, of course, strong in specific areas such as gaming, but for that users have other sources of apps such as Steam. And when it comes to performing specific utility tasks, Store apps tend to be less powerful than the ones which can be freely downloaded from the web.

He confirmed the common refrain that Microsoft has changed their developer technology too rapidly for developers to keep up, and that the Store’s only source of success was the captive Windows Phone customers, who have now mostly departed the platform.

With BUILD 2018 starting in only 2 days, Stéphane notes that when Microsoft says “opportunity“, it is a sign that the market is “very, very low” and it is notable that the majority of BUILD will focus on Microsoft’s growth areas, the Cloud, with even Windows taking a back seat.

He concludes:


So there’s no chance the Windows Store works, the good news is Satya get it since a while so MS will not lose so much money, that’s what a CEO is supposed to do.

See Stéphane’s email in full below:


MSPU: What is commercial performance like? Has sales increased in line with the growth of W10, or as you say it remains relatively flat, possibly due to the death of Windows Phone?

Stéphane : Honestly it’s a disaster,

When you hear the “opportunity” word in a MS conference, it means the market is very very very low. There is absolutely no adoption for the Windows Store, even with the user growth, because nobody care. When you start your computer, you are going to the web and use file Explorer.
Optionnaly if you are a worker or student you could use Office, but you would never go to Windows Store, why would you go there ? For Games ?
– Gamers are on Steam
– Kids play with console or iPad!

But what about tools people used before ? With the Windows Store apps are sandboxed and common tools can’t work so there’s no need…

To finish, add the big amount of bugs in the Windows Store (update process hang, errors 0x8007XXXX, purchases not synchonized, wsreset…come on !)

Windows Store only had its little viability on Windows Mobile and it’s dead (in fact there’s still a WP8.1 relatively big market in India/Vietnam/Brazil but nobody care).

Even if MS is a big company, there’s no money/market on Desktop and tech is changing every 6 months, nobody can follow these updates (only press and fans!). It’s sad because there’s a lot of fans worldwide but not enough to build a real&solid market for business.
So there’s no chance the Windows Store works, the good news is Satya get it since a while so MS will not loose so much money, that’s what a CEO is supposed to do.

In the same time, we are feeling lucky because our company lived “great days” of Windows Phone and I think we changed something in the ecosystem… we brought the casting feature to its top and the 360° videos for everybody, and we are really proud of the work we did.
Everybody is leaving the boat today, even the press (don’t you?) and developers are not highlighted anymore which is a very bad situation : now the main press subject is to destruct Microsoft because they failed. Ok they failed, we know, what’s next ?

If you want to use this mail to write an article, I grant my permission only if you publish it completely.

Stephane
https://mspoweruser.com/developer-th...windows-store/


---

I posted this here because of the previous mention...but, due to the negative aspect of it, it might be better for "smackdown." Though, I'm not really trying to push it as that. More so, a building block of the previous mention.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,388
Default

Thanks for that. It confirms what we suspected.

I just got a new Surface laptop (awesome little machine for office work), and it shipped with Windows 10S - a special version of Windows 10 that only installs apps from the Windows Store. How desperate is that?

Our IT guy wiped it and put our image on it, so it's fine. But yeah - file exporer, web browsing and Office, just like he said. That's all I use it for.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
CoD, Battlefield, Overwatch, PubG, Fortnite, Rock* - all the biggest most popular titles - don't come to Switch, so Switch is not competing for those sales. The only reason to buy a Nintendo console is for Nintendo IPs. If they didn't have their IPs, they wouldn't have successful systems.

The same is not true of XBOX/PS/PC. People do buy those platforms just to play multi-plat games. There's an asymmetry in the comparison.

I'm not taking shots at Nintendo or suggesting "they don't count". Quite the opposite - it's amazing they can still be successful when they aren't conforming to modern standards. They also make amazing games of the highest quality. But they're not playing the same game Microsoft and Sony are playing.
Yeah well the WiiU showed that people DONT buy Nintendo consoles for their IPs.....obviously the Switch is doing something else entirely thats hitting it right with the consumer, its selling like hotcakes and only has a couple really great Nintendo only games, the rest is mostly Indie stuff but its become the ONLY home I play those games on because of its form factor, not getting the other top games really doesnt matter this time for them, they found something that works without those games this time and plenty of people are making that their second console next to whatever they have otherwise, be it the Xbox/PS4 or PC variety
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Yeah well the WiiU showed that people DONT buy Nintendo consoles for their IPs.....obviously the Switch is doing something else entirely thats hitting it right with the consumer, its selling like hotcakes and only has a couple really great Nintendo only games, the rest is mostly Indie stuff but its become the ONLY home I play those games on because of its form factor, not getting the other top games really doesnt matter this time for them, they found something that works without those games this time and plenty of people are making that their second console next to whatever they have otherwise, be it the Xbox/PS4 or PC variety
So Switch doesn't get the big multi-plats, but it's selling well because it has the same Indy games every other platform has; many of which have been available on other platforms for months, if not years? That makes no sense at all.

It's selling because there's a big, new, top rated Zelda game and people like the hardware. WiiU failed because it wasn't a hardware configuration people wanted to use, and the exclusive Zelda game on it was a misfire.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
It's selling because there's a big, new, top rated Zelda game and people like the hardware. WiiU failed because it wasn't a hardware configuration people wanted to use, and the exclusive Zelda game on it was a misfire.
The "exclusive" Zelda was BoTW. What other was there?
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
The "exclusive" Zelda was BoTW. What other was there?
I was thinking of the Windwaker remaster, but I wasn't using "exclusive" in the same context. I meant "not on PS or Xbox" rather than "Only on this Nintendo machine".

Still, it was announced the Wii U had ceased production months before BoTW was released. It's not like it sold a bunch of Wii U consoles the way it has sold the Switch.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM
RedRedSuit's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Thanks for that. It confirms what we suspected.

I just got a new Surface laptop (awesome little machine for office work), and it shipped with Windows 10S - a special version of Windows 10 that only installs apps from the Windows Store. How desperate is that?

Our IT guy wiped it and put our image on it, so it's fine. But yeah - file exporer, web browsing and Office, just like he said. That's all I use it for.
I got my dad a similar thing. In huge print it said you can get rid of 10S nonsense by doing XYZ, at no charge. And yes, very desperate.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I was thinking of the Windwaker remaster, but I wasn't using "exclusive" in the same context. I meant "not on PS or Xbox" rather than "Only on this Nintendo machine".

Still, it was announced the Wii U had ceased production months before BoTW was released. It's not like it sold a bunch of Wii U consoles the way it has sold the Switch.
I was just confused, that's all. I was thinking, perhaps, you meant the D-Warriors game or something.

Anyway, I'm hoping they port those. Windwaker is a great and it's gorgeous on the Wii U. Deserves the love of the Switch.

It's harder for me to justify the Switch within my current schedule because most of the stuff is just Wii U releases at this time. So, I'm waiting on Bayonetta 3 before jumping in.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:25 PM
RM's Avatar
RM RM is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,388
Default

It will likely be a late generation purchase for me. Metroid will have to deliver, but two games is all I really need to comitt.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
So Switch doesn't get the big multi-plats, but it's selling well because it has the same Indy games every other platform has; many of which have been available on other platforms for months, if not years? That makes no sense at all.

It's selling because there's a big, new, top rated Zelda game and people like the hardware. WiiU failed because it wasn't a hardware configuration people wanted to use, and the exclusive Zelda game on it was a misfire.
I dont think thats quite true, listening to plenty of gaming podcasts from Kinda Funny to IGNs Game Scoop, plenty seem to want any game thats coming out on their switch because of where they can take it, games they would normally buy somewhere else, they arent buying there and that doesnt have to do with Zelda or Mario, Zelda has already been out for over a year now, I'm sure its still selling but that isnt what people NOW are buying the console for IMO, the form factor is probably the biggest thing, Zelda and Mario I'm sure helps but its the rest of the stuff thats keeping me play it, I'm already done with Zelda and Mario I beat but dont care to get 999 stars, I dont play games that way, so without the games I missed on the indie scene and the newer indie releases like Celeste, I wouldnt even be playing my Switch right now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wii 2 specs leaked, Blu-ray enabled and 1080p support? Master X Gaming Smackdown 50 10-30-2009 06:52 AM
Where The Wild Things Are...leaked footage and possible reshoots? twonunpackmule Film Forum 7 08-11-2008 04:16 PM
Foreign Blu-Ray's: "Monster", "Copland", "Traffic", "The Machinist", "ZZ Top Live"... Arkadin Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 04-17-2008 07:25 PM
"Heroes", "Home of the Brave", Tristan and Isolde" Rescue Dawn" and "The Messengers" Arkadin HD DVD Imports Subforum 5 01-02-2008 11:25 AM
Leaked Halo 3 Epsilon Shots onavarr8 Gaming Smackdown 8 08-22-2007 11:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off