The PC Snobbery Thread: Everybody Laugh at Onslaught - Page 1787 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I have a Uplay key for Assassin Creed's Origin and a Steam Key for Hollow Knight up for grabs. Regulars get priority.

I have to go through my Humble Bundle Monthly's still. Those are two I offered to friends but none wanted them. So, now there here for someone who wants them.
I'll take 'Hollow Knight' if it's still up for grabs. Been offline for over a week now (well, off-computer), I only just got back on my computer this morning. Over a dozen games need updating, which is actually less than I expected (there is usually at least a few games I have installed needing an update per day on average).

Apparently there is a Hollow Knight sequel coming out. Probably why they offered it in the Humble Bundle, to get the people who haven't played it yet interested.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
I'll take 'Hollow Knight' if it's still up for grabs. Been offline for over a week now (well, off-computer), I only just got back on my computer this morning. Over a dozen games need updating, which is actually less than I expected (there is usually at least a few games I have installed needing an update per day on average).

Apparently there is a Hollow Knight sequel coming out. Probably why they offered it in the Humble Bundle, to get the people who haven't played it yet interested.
If I remember to log in tonight, I'll send them out.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:04 PM

Reviews for the 20xx "Super" refresh from Nvidia and the 5700 series from AMD are out now.

5700XT is just a little behind the 2070 Super (which is on par with the original 2080), for $100 less on the MSRP. Now the question is how much stock they will have available. If AMD can get cards out there, that card looks like it could be a big seller. 2070 Super brings the 1080Ti/2080 performance down to $499 - still too high for me, but value wise, this is more in line with what we should have gotten when the 2000 series launched.

Reviews are also out on the 3700x and 3900x CPUs from AMD - they are bad ass. Intel will likely have to drop prices.

Personally, I'm so busy with work right now I have almost no time to play games, and plenty of stuff that runs great on my old hardware. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'll need a full hardware refresh when I go to upgrade. Maybe next year if work levels off.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post

Reviews are also out on the 3700x and 3900x CPUs from AMD - they are bad ass. Intel will likely have to drop prices.
Maybe that's why Intel ROSE their prices 6 months or so back, so they could respond to AMD now, making their prices what they were before 6 months ago!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM

With the power of these things now, you honestly could wait a year and not feel all that bad about building a rig using these parts at a discount once the next processors updates come around. Shit, a lot of us are still gaming on Sandy and Ivy Bridge...
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 PM

Yeah, when it comes to CPUs and gaming, the advantages generation to generation aren't very big. Developers do tend to be slow to take advantage of CPUs, especially additional cores. I mean, it took years for it to become common for developers to make decent use of quad core, forget about hex and octo core. Speeds on a per-chip basis haven't been going up that fast either because chip makers are having more and more trouble with further scaling down transistors and are instead making do by adding more cores and tweaking things here and there instead.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM

While I agree there is little jump from year to year, the cumulative effects over the last 4 years have been pretty big for some AAA games. Games like Assassin's Creed, Metro Exodus, and Tomb Raider demand a lot from the CPU. Obviously if you're not playing the big AAA or grand strategy games, older hardware and mid-range CPUs are fine. But AAA gaming has slowly raised the minimum specs over the last few years.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM

Got my PC up and running with a Ryzen 3600 but I've run into a problem where voltage seems to stay between 1.4-1.5 causing temps to be rather high and gaming untenable for now. Seems I'm not alone looking at AMD's reddit but it's a little frustrating. Nonetheless, I think the stock cooler isn't gonna cut it for me (or I didn't install it right) as I'm still running too hot. 90-95 C during Three Kingdoms Total War doesn't seem right even with those voltage problems.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 07-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
While I agree there is little jump from year to year, the cumulative effects over the last 4 years have been pretty big for some AAA games. Games like Assassin's Creed, Metro Exodus, and Tomb Raider demand a lot from the CPU. Obviously if you're not playing the big AAA or grand strategy games, older hardware and mid-range CPUs are fine. But AAA gaming has slowly raised the minimum specs over the last few years.
I wouldn't argue with you at all. My point was, instead, that your waiting until at least next year to upgrade isn't half bad. At that point, you could buy today's processors at a decent discount and have an absolute bandit of a machine.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:38 PM

You're right, and that's probably what I'll do - build a PCpartpicker list and wait for each item to go on sale, then assemble once I've picked up all the parts.