The PC Snobbery Thread: Everybody Laugh at Onslaught - Page 1781 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

You may also type about:debugging in the address bar, turn on debugging which allows you in install new extensions.
Then when you download an extension, right click and save the .XPI file to your hard drive. Then in the same debugging screen, you can "load temporary addon" and point it to the XPI you just downloaded.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

Must be to match the much higher price on Nvidia!!
Actually, I think I posted a link awhile back about Intel no longer offering discounts to end users. Still could be related though.
Haven't we been seeing an increase due to to the trade war with China?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Haven't we been seeing an increase due to to the trade war with China?
Entirely possible but I think Nvidia is just pricing themselves the way they do because they know there's not really competition.China trade war would not explain the prices on SSDs, unless made in say Singapore or some other far-East company.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM

As I understand it, the primary cause of Intel's increasing prices is shortages. They're currently milking the shit out of 14nm because their 10nm chips have (basically) been a failure. 10nm was planned a year or two ago, but speculation is the yields were so bad it was not feasible to bring to market. So to keep the wheels turning, they've been squeezing more and more clock speed out of their 14nm chips, but that seems to mean lower yields overall for those chips as well. Lower yields means higher prices.

Based on the latest rumors, it sounds like they've given up on 10nm and are moving on to 6nm, but we won't see desktop chips until later next year, or 2021. So for now we're stuck on "old" tech. Meanwhile AMD is poised to curb stomp them if they can get their 3000 series Ryzen processors running roughly 400mhz faster on all cores. That would put their x700 series chip at 4.5ghz, and it's rumored to be a 12c/24t chip. But AMD hype is always overly optimistic, so I'm thinking 8c/16t @ 4.4ghz is more likely. If they can hit that, the 3700x likely becomes the new go-to CPU for high end gaming machines.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM

For the love of Luna, will we ever see graphene chips? They were hyped over a decade ago, but I've heard very little since, other than a while ago someone found a way to produce the material for the chips more economically (before they could only get small bits, but the new technique allowed for larger amounts of good quality, I think it was).
Old 05-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Quite a lot of people with bad things to say about Rage 2, especially on PC.

Apparently Bethesda waited until the last 24 hours or so to reveal that the game had both Denuvo, and required a Bethesda.net account in order for one to get the extra content (like, pre-order bonuses and such).

The game itself is a mixed bag as well. Plenty of people find it fun to play, but it apparently feels empty, and mainly involves traveling from place to place and killing the people there. In regards to the latter, though that is what one would probably expect from a FPS set in a post-apocalyptic setting, I'm guessing people mean that there isn't much variation.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Never had any hope for Rage 2. Seemed like they were just using an IP they already had to put out a C level game to fill a slot on a list for the quarter.

It is interesting to see so many people turning on Steam and going their own way on PC thought.

Random and Unrelated: I hope Borderlands 3 doesn't suck. I don't expect it to be anything new, but all the shit around that game has me worried the management team has gotten in the way of the team making a solid follow-up to BL2.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 PM

I might be looking into building a PC sometime this Summer...

Between AMD and Intel CPU's what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I'm looking to spend roughly $800-$900 (including Windows) cost and the GPU I'm targeting is a 1660 Ti. I just want to play games on it primarily, I don't think I'll multi-task too often as I have my Macbook Pro for browsing and such and it still runs strong. I'd like to play most games on 1080p at high to ultra settings with the ability to go 1440p at mid-high settings.

As someone who hasn't built their own PC before, enlighten me.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I might be looking into building a PC sometime this Summer...

Between AMD and Intel CPU's what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I'm looking to spend roughly $800-$900 (including Windows) cost and the GPU I'm targeting is a 1660 Ti. I just want to play games on it primarily, I don't think I'll multi-task too often as I have my Macbook Pro for browsing and such and it still runs strong. I'd like to play most games on 1080p at high to ultra settings with the ability to go 1440p at mid-high settings.

As someone who hasn't built their own PC before, enlighten me.

Here's a build you could copy. Note the guy mentions he did not include the additional fans/lights in the build cost. They aren't much if you want to add them.

The main points are:
  • Buy a good CPU
    • Ideally, you want the CPU, motherboard and RAM to last you 5 years if you can. Each time you buy a new CPU, you'll likely have to buy a new motherboard and RAM, so spend the extra cash up front to get something strong - don't replace it 3 years in because you went cheap at the beginning. The 2700x is a solid choice right now.
    • AMD is kicking ass on the value end with CPUs right now, offering a lot of cores for less money than Intel. But, they aren't as fast on the clock speed.
    • Intel still holds a clock speed advantage, and run a little better in games under extreme tests. This is really only valid when running AAA games at 1080p with top end graphics cards, and shooting for high frame rates. In that environment, Intel has an advantage. At 1440p though, the graphics card will usually be the bottleneck, so the AMD chips are a better deal.
  • Buy 16GB of RAM
    • Windows + AAA games are now reaching up over 8GB, so you'll need the next step up. No need to worry about RAM speed if you're on a budget.
  • Stock fans are enough
    • People like to bling out their PCs, but it doesn't make them run better. Any good case will come with a fan in the front (intake) and one in the back (exhaust), and that's plenty to keep the temps cool. Adding more fans just adds more noise. I recently took my case from 9 fans down to 3 - I have the exact same CPU and GPU temps, so they were just making pointless noise.
  • Windows 10 might still be free
    • I didn't do the research on this so go look it up, but I think Windows 10 is still free. I wiped my drive and installed 10 fresh a few months ago. I was never prompted to pay anything, and it's well past the freebie period. I see other people online saying they aren't charging for it if you do a USB install. Again, do some research.
    • I would make a USB boot drive from the internet to install it and only purchase it if prompted.

The only hesitation I would have here is if you planned on running a high refresh rate monitor. The 2700x is a great choice if you know you'll be running at 60hz for years to come. If you want to experiment with 120hz, CPU clock speed becomes a much more important factor, which might justify spending more money on an Intel CPU & Motherboard like the 9700k. But high refresh won't be possible with a mid-tier card like the 1660ti, so it's probably a moot point.

Building a PC is stupid easy. If you can hook up the cables for an entertainment center (TV, Receiver, game console, surround sound, etc.), you are more than qualified to build a PC. It takes a few hours if you have no experience, but just watch a youtube walk through and you'll be perfectly fine. I suck at building things and I find it easy.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:32 PM

So right now I have a 1080p 60hz monitor that I use for work. I intend to stick with that for the mean time with the possibility of upgrading in the future, but probably not for a couple years.

My expectation is that the next gen consoles will leap frog my PC or at least get very close to it so I'll probably be upgrading some parts in 3-4 years. Nonetheless I've noticed the 2700x recommended quite frequently so that's something I've been targeting. I plan to get 16 GB of RAM anyway so I should be set there, no plan for additional fans because I don't intend to overclock so I would imagine it shouldn't be necessary.

Other than that, I still have my old PC which it looks like I've already upgraded to Windows 10 a few years ago. Maybe I can use the product key still?

Appreciate the input nonetheless!

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club