The PC Snobbery Thread: Everybody Laugh at Onslaught - Page 1778 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
So, how about that Master Chief Collection coming to PC via MS Store and Steam?

I'll be getting it. Been wanting to play them for years, but the availability of the titles on PC has been lacking. Only the first two of the main titles were published on PC I think?
It's $30 for the collection. Which, is an amazing deal and a lot of value.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Welp, Borderlands 3 is exclusive to Epic Store for 6 months, with the game launching on September 13th, 2019.

I honestly think I'll pass. The Epic Store is just bloody dodgy stuff, isn't it? I also prefer to keep my BL games on Steam, with its built-in community and whatnot.

Gearbox ought to have given us the option, maybe have it on Epic Store for a bit cheaper (like $5). They'd still have made more from that storefront and given people incentive to use it, but not forced PC gamers to make the choice. Epic probably paid them for exclusivity, unfortunately.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Epic probably paid them for exclusivity, unfortunately.
That's basically the beginning and end of the story.

I don't mind having another launcher to deal with. I'm currently bouncing back and forth between some directly installed games (like Gears 4), Steam, UPlay, and Battle.net. On top of that, I'm often running Discord when playing Division 2 and Diablo 3 with friends. I'm not using it currently, but I've also got Origin with several games there.

The bigger question for me will be if B3 lives up to the predecessors. I don't need it to do anything all that new or different - I would be happy to spend another 80 hours playing through a meat-and-potatoes Borderlands game, so long as the story is funny, it runs well on PC, and the game is put together as well as the previous games. If they can nail a good experience, I'll play it.

Also, these days I have such a huge backlog and games spend so much time being patched up front, waiting 6 months to pick up the game might honestly make sense for me.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:56 PM

I personally have doubts about Epic Games Launcher though. Plus it's a lackluster platform, at least if you want extra stuff like built-in discussion forums, achievements, player profiles, etc. Also, all my other Borderlands games are on Steam, I don't want an odd man out.

And yeah, it's yet another distribution platform to install.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 PM

Totally valid concerns. I take no issue with the "I don't want it if it's not on Steam" viewpoint. It's no different than the console owning crowd: People want to play games where they feel comfortable.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:48 AM

Personally, I want more competition, but they're going about it in an unpleasant way. Buying timed exclusivity. Like I said, it would have been better if say, publishers and developers made their games priced slightly less on Epic Game store. That would get a lot of people to vote with their wallets. The Store is entirely about benefiting the publisher at the expense of the consumers.

Incidentally, I don't care for timed exclusivity on consoles either. Either release it on both the Sony and MS consoles, or don't (Nintendo is a bit of an odd duck, their devices are generally less powerful, and they are more 'family friendly, so a lot of games wouldn't really be encouraged on that platform for those reasons).
Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 AM

Well, I see a big difference between second and third party exclusives. Sony pitching in funding to From Software for second party exclusives like Demon's Souls and Bloodorne made some amount of sense. Even if I selfishly wanted Bloodborne on PC, that game being exclusive to PS4 makes sense given Sony helped fund that game from the beginning.

By contrast, Microsoft stepping in to buy exclusivity on Rise of the Tomb Raider felt like a steal, and didn't seem to earn them any good will. This stuff with Epic feels more like that considering these games they're buying exclusivity on would otherwise be available on Steam.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Intel 660p 2TB QLC m.2 nvme ssd $191.25 at Rakuten.

WOW. Please help me from a moment of weakness! Last 2 drives have been Samsung Pro Series Sata drives.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:46 AM

2TB SSDs (either form factor) are around $220, so you would be saving $30. Intel makes great drives, so no reason not to jump on it if you need the storage.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
2TB SSDs (either form factor) are around $220, so you would be saving $30. Intel makes great drives, so no reason not to jump on it if you need the storage.
I'd like the option of leaving/having more games installed without having to worry about the shuffle to the traditional hard drive. I am not doing that now but if I could have more games installed, I would probably play more concurrently. And the m2 version, just because.