Sean Penn Drops Out of Three Stooges and Cartel... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Sean Penn Drops Out of Three Stooges and Cartel...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b30764465c0795

while i don't blame the man for wanting to be with his family i'm extremely disappointed, i had high expectations for both films.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM

If he never came back it wouldn't hurt my feelings. He's a real knucklehead.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM

I think he's perhaps a decent actor, but I think he picks projects that aren't the best ones for his talents. That said I think it's silly to judge an actor's abilities based on their personal view points on politics. I disagree with Penn on a lot of things, and I think Tom Cruise is a total wack job but i think both are fine actors.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 PM

I think any actor signing onto the Stooges movie is Risking collosal damage to their image (except for Jim Carrey maybe, who could probably get away with anything and you'd forgive him.) But the Stooges remake would never be as Classic as the original actors, and no story could ever be written and accepted as well as the Original. (It's the exact same Nightmare they should've seen ahead of time with redoing The Pink Panther - Steve Martin is awesome, but you just dont compare to Sellers.. Ever!)

This has complete Failure written all over it and I dont care what excuse Penn gives, he's doing himself an enormous favor of getting out of this sure-fire Trainwreck.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM

i think penn looks a lot like larry fine and from his many fantastic method acting performances i could definitely picture him banging out another one with larry, but with the farley brothers directing i doubt the film will be a success. as for cartel, that sounded like a great movie for him and it's too bad he won't be leading it. for the record i think penn's one of the best actors of the last 25 years and probably one of the best of all time (in a list of 20 or so). he should have 3 best actor oscars under his belt but he was robbed of his performance in dead man walking.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM

Penn turned it down because it wasn't enough of a stretch for him to act like a stooge...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
i think penn looks a lot like larry fine and from his many fantastic method acting performances i could definitely picture him banging out another one with larry, but with the farley brothers directing i doubt the film will be a success. as for cartel, that sounded like a great movie for him and it's too bad he won't be leading it. for the record i think penn's one of the best actors of the last 25 years and probably one of the best of all time (in a list of 20 or so). he should have 3 best actor oscars under his belt but he was robbed of his performance in dead man walking.
I thought he was Outstanding in Mystic River... he completely Owned that Role.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiequest View Post
hell yes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiequest View Post
yeah, but then he went "full on retard" and I'm not sure that Milk was the best role for him specifically either. I totally agree about Mystic River though, excellent work all around. He's a great actor, but I don't know that he can really pull just anything off, and unfortunetly he has a habbit of picking up roles that he doesn't excel in.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Surprisingly, I dont think he's had a Comedic Role like Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times" since he did "Fast Times.." Granted the Comedy with Dinero "We're no Angels" his character wasnt comedic in the least. Spicoli proved he can be a goofball if called on to be.