X-Men origins: Wolverine thoughts and reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-02-2009, 06:13 AM

Default X-Men origins: Wolverine thoughts and reviews

A group of us saw this tonight after work and I thought I'd start a thread for reviews.

I'm not a huge X-Men fan but I have seen all the movies and I think this is either the best yet or a close second to the first movie.

A couple of comments:

I thought they did an excellent job of tying this movies storyline into the existing movies storylines. I worry about continuity with prequels but everything fell into place.

The special affects and acting were great.

I don't think it quite equalled Batman begins back story but I got the same feeling watching this that I got from Batman begins, it's much more detailed on how wolverine became wolverine and seemed very thought out.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would definately recommend it.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM

I just got back from a late sold out show. Damn it, it was way uneven, IMO.

First things first. The editing. It was chopped up like a salad. I was pissed.
Spoiler
Storm is not in it.

Second. There were tons of mediocre cg, and very poor rear projection.

Spoiler
The all cgi Professor X took the cake.
I couldn't believe it.

Honestly, I don't think Gavin Hood finished this flick. If he did, it was taken away from him, and edited without him. I hope they release a director's cut, or extended.
Spoiler
Oh, as far as Gambit goes, the scene he's in makes no sense. Wolverine knocks his ass out cold, five seconds later he's on a rooftop and jumps down and does his thing, in context no fucking way. He was right next to Wolverine two seconds ago!

I hate to say this, but X-Men 3 was more consistent.

Will I buy this on BD? Maybe. If there's a director's cut, yes, day one. If not, I'll buy it used or cheap. There are a couple of good scenes, but overall, it's very sloppy.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 AM

I forgot about the CGI in your 2nd spoiler... that was bad CGI, right up there with the Jabba the hut CGI in the Star Wars prequels.

I don't follow x-men very closely but I thought he met (spoiler 1) for the first time in the first x-men movie.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I just got back from a late sold out show. Damn it, it was way uneven, IMO.

First things first. The editing. It was chopped up like a salad. I was pissed.
Spoiler
Storm is not in it.

Second. There were tons of mediocre cg, and very poor rear projection.

Spoiler
The all cgi Professor X took the cake.
I couldn't believe it.

Honestly, I don't think Gavin Hood finished this flick. If he did, it was taken away from him, and edited without him. I hope they release a director's cut, or extended.
Spoiler
Oh, as far as Gambit goes, the scene he's in makes no sense. Wolverine knocks his ass out cold, five seconds later he's on a rooftop and jumps down and does his thing, in context no fucking way. He was right next to Wolverine two seconds ago!

I hate to say this, but X-Men 3 was more consistent.

Will I buy this on BD? Maybe. If there's a director's cut, yes, day one. If not, I'll buy it used or cheap. There are a couple of good scenes, but overall, it's very sloppy.

Why would Storm be in this, its bad enough that Emma Frost, Cyclops and the hordes of other xmen that were in the movie had nothing to do with the actual Wolverine story and were in it. All they did was say hey theres a bunch of mutants people wanted to see in the first 3 that we didnt put in why dont we just put a bunch of those in this movie and they can be out of place here.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm going to a noon showing of this. I wanted to get the cheapest tickets possible after hearing a lot of mixed stuff ever since the WP came out. I'll post my thoughts after the movie
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM

I stopped reading the comic books a long time ago, but is anything even remotely accurate in this film?

The "brother" connection, the entire sequence of events...what the hell? From what I can remember of Wolverine's origin this movie was all over the place and just downright wrong in certain places.

Was there some Wolverine "spin off" storyline or something else that this movie was based on?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 PM

I saw it last night & really enjoyed it. I was a huge Wolvie fan when I was a teen and had most of the comics. After my 20's I stopped reading the comics but was always a fan of the character.

Although it's not perfect, I found myself completely entertained by it, & that's the whole point of movies, suspend your critical analysis & just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM

I was planning on seeing it last night but something came up... will see it Sunday.

I can tell you that the video game is awesome though! It's visceral, bloody and very much M rated.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Well we're waiting for the movie to start in about 15 minutes and there's only about 20 other people in the theater. It's not giving me high hopes for this movie.

Side Note: 90% of the commercials they show while you're waiting for the previews are a waste of my eyesight.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itputdalotion0n View Post
Why would Storm be in this, its bad enough that Emma Frost, Cyclops and the hordes of other xmen that were in the movie had nothing to do with the actual Wolverine story and were in it. All they did was say hey theres a bunch of mutants people wanted to see in the first 3 that we didnt put in why dont we just put a bunch of those in this movie and they can be out of place here.
She's in the trailer, as a child. The little white haired girl, it's obviously Storm.