Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 PM

Default Shocking News: Warner Bros. Acquires Ninja Scroll

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
'Ninja Scroll' gets feature treatment

Alex Tse to adapt Japanese classic for Warners

By Borys Kit and Jay A. Fernandez
Oct 27, 2008, 12:00 AM ET

Quote:
Alex Tse has been tapped to write "Ninja Scroll," Warners' adaptation of the classic Japanese anime feature. Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way is producing along with Madhouse Pictures and Jungo Maruta.

Ranking alongside "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell" as one of the most popular animes outside of Japan, "Ninja" is set in feudal Japan and follows a ninja who must fight eight demonic warriors in order to save Japan. The hard-R movie, released in 1993 in Japan, featured a villain with stone skin, a hunchback with a wasp nest as his hump and a woman whose snake tattoos come to life.

Tse is no stranger to adult fantasy; he's the co-writer of Warners' "Watchmen," Zach Snyder's upcoming R-rated take on the dark, mature-themed Alan Moore comic miniseries with its serious treatment of superheroes.

The scribe, repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners, also is adapting Ray Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man" for Snyder at Warners and "The Winter of Frankie Machine," which is set up at Paramount with Michael Mann attached to direct.

Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Mike Ireland are producing for Appian, which has a first-look deal with Warners.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for the studio.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

I loved Ninja Scroll, but I absolutely think that a live-action version will suck.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
I loved Ninja Scroll, but I absolutely think that a live-action version will suck.
same here, a good writer is one thing, but adapting a screen play with the soul of this movie is a rather daunting task and than a director/cinematographer who can take that vision and actually express it to a respectable degree is another...

I will pay close attention to this thats for sure..
Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 PM

I love it as well. The only Anime I like actually, I hope they get this right.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Shinobi was based on Basillisk and it was 'ok'. But honestly, how can they do Ninja scroll with anything but Japanese actors? Is Leo going to be the Ninja guy? Seriously...scared at how bad this might be.

Notice though, it's an adaptation, so it doesn't have to be anything like the original. They could call it Cowboy Scroll, or even Sword Scroll and make it more US/Euro centric. Anyways, I too think it will suck.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm guessing it will be just a LITTLE toned down (LOL) from the anime movie and even Basilisk. I can only hope that it doesn't suck, but I'm going to have to say it will be tough to live up to the original material.