What did you watch last night? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Default What did you watch last night?

I thought I would start a thread where we all can share what we watched last night, whether it is recommended or not, whether you'd watch it again and so on.

This can be about any films (including those just released), but will not include discussion about PQ and AQ of HD DVD's or BD's - please keep that discussion to the appropriate forums.

So come on guys 'n' gals - what did you watch last night and was it any good?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 AM

I just watched Volver last night. I've always enjoyed Almodóvar films, Talk to Her and Live Flesh being my personal favorites. I see his style of directing and writing as the next Fellini or Bergman with a little Hitchcock on the side. Volver is a really amazing movie! One might find it boring or uneventful if they don't understand the European style of filmmaking; but this is a beautiful picture about life in the mundane and how women handle those sometimes overly dramatic events in life, overly dramatic to the point of being a soap opera.

BTW, the picture was astounding on my A1! Anyone with an HD DVD player must watch this DVD just for its upscaling abilities. I was really blown away by the picture -- I almost thought I was watching an HD disc. I hope Canal+ in Spain releases this film soon on HD DVD, because I know I'll be the first to order.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-05-2007, 12:15 PM

I keep a journal with what I'm watching and thoughts here --

http://2bq.livejournal.com/

The last week has been pretty productive for me, as I've been off work for Passover.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 PM

i didnt watch any hd movies last night but i watched my latest hd purchase, the punisher on blu-ray last monday. and i watched the red sox last night, shit on the royals Dice K's pitching today, gonna be sick.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

I watched a documentary on the making of The Joshua Tree.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 PM

I watched "Performance at the White House, Thelonius Monk... on PBS HD
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post

The last week has been pretty productive for me, as I've been off work for Passover.
That's funny, I'm doing the same here. Spending the week not working, but catching up on movies. Just finished watching The Believer, which was interesting, and will watch Total Recall HD DVD tonight.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Ok well I only realy want to do this once so here is my regular TV listing:

Monday: 24 and then directly over to WWE Raw

Tuesday: Usualy some thing on Discovery, A&E, or History... not a big TV Night for me

Wendsday: Bones, South Park

Thrusdays: TNA iMPACT

Fridays: I catch about an hour of WWE SmackDown after I get home from Basketball.

Saturday: If i watch TV its usualy Discovery, A&E, or History Channel

Sunday: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad.

On any given night I may tune in to Cartoon Network to watch Futurama or Family Guy. Also NBA Basketball, Hockey, or Football when in season from time to time.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
I just watched Volver last night. I've always enjoyed Almodóvar films, Talk to Her and Live Flesh being my personal favorites. I see his style of directing and writing as the next Fellini or Bergman with a little Hitchcock on the side. Volver is a really amazing movie! One might find it boring or uneventful if they don't understand the European style of filmmaking; but this is a beautiful picture about life in the mundane and how women handle those sometimes overly dramatic events in life, overly dramatic to the point of being a soap opera.

BTW, the picture was astounding on my A1! Anyone with an HD DVD player must watch this DVD just for its upscaling abilities. I was really blown away by the picture -- I almost thought I was watching an HD disc. I hope Canal+ in Spain releases this film soon on HD DVD, because I know I'll be the first to order.
There are a lot of filmakers that have been inspired by Almodovar.
One of the movies that I like a lot and reflects Almodovar is '' Amercican Beauty''

If you are interested about his movies you can always buy ''Viva Pedro - Pedro Almodovar Classics Collection ''

...but if you really want to get into his movies I would really suggest you to buy his very first movies. Most of them are very underground and also for some critics they are the best. Too bad they are not included in the box set.

Titles:

1-Pepi, Lucy Bom y otras chicas del monton.
2-Laberinto de Pasiones
3-Entre tinieblas
4-What have I done to deserve this?

Kitsch at its best.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post

Wow I am impressed. You are really into great films.