The Host - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Default The Host

Just saw The Host tonight and thought it was really good monster movie as well as family drama. Wondered what any of you thought?

I figure that the director watched lots of monster movies (probably Alien, and other US films) but really made this one his own. I highly recommend the film and hope it comes out on HD DVD.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32 View Post
Just saw The Host tonight and thought it was really good monster movie as well as family drama. Wondered what any of you thought?

I figure that the director watched lots of monster movies (probably Alien, and other US films) but really made this one his own. I highly recommend the film and hope it comes out on HD DVD.
The Host? I need to look for this.Thank you
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM

I saw this a while back and thought it was completely derivative. It it wasn't Korean and riding on the current wave of asian horror hits nobody would have looked twice at it.

This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of asian movies; I just found this to be hugely disappointing and in no way worthy of all the hype.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I have yet to see this, although it's been on my to see list for ages. Most of the reviews I've read have been very positive.

I'm a big fan of asian movies too, so let's hope I enjoy it more than Kotatsu Neko did and am not left disappointed.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 PM

I haven't seen this yet, even though I really want to. I'm hearing that a lot of folk who are ging into it with high expectations are really disappointed. As such, I'm reying to reel in my expectations.

I'm hoping, with Magnolia distributing, there'll be a good chance it will come to both formats, and am waiting for news on a HD DVD release before I pick this up on any format. Sadly the UK theatrical release was quite derisory and it didn't show anywhere near me.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm still hoping. We need a good "monster" movie.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
I saw this a while back and thought it was completely derivative. It it wasn't Korean and riding on the current wave of asian horror hits nobody would have looked twice at it.

This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of asian movies; I just found this to be hugely disappointing and in no way worthy of all the hype.
Well, I'm not all that well-versed on the Asian horror market. I've seen a few, but I'm definitely not seeking those films out I just heard a lot about this one and I wanted to see an asian horror film that wasn't a totally surreal ghost story or whatever and I was really into this film.

I also like how they melded the family drama with the horror. You really felt for the little girl and the family's loss, etc. which is unique to horror films that are well done.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 AM

ToHo needs to bring back Godzilla...

Still want to check this out though but alas not playing in my area...