The original idea of Transformers (anime) came from USA or Japan? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Talking The original idea of Transformers (anime) came from USA or Japan?

First I want to say that this threat is not related to Transformers (The movie) by Tejstar.Itís exclusive to Transformers (Anime Series)

Read this is very interesting:

Challenge of the Gobots Vs Transformers.

The Challenge of the Gobots (Mighty Machine) was the first Transformers I knew about. This idea was based on the Machine Robots an Anime series from Japan (1980-1983). Around that time I just find out that Transformers were out too. (1984). so technically the Idea came from Japan.

Success of the Series:

On my research (this Website): http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Go-Bots.html
Claims that due to ( and I quote) "The simple designs and the lack of creativeness the cartoon created by Hanna-Barbera (The gobots) was childish compare with the story line of Transformers"

For more Info and origin of Gobots and Transformers Click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_of_the_GoBots
And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobots

Conclusion: My ignorance was critical to compare the Gobots with Transformers. They may be similar but not the same. I also learn that wanting something does not mean we know the story behind it. The idea came from Japan after all.

I want to mention some of the Classics of Action Anime Today maybe Forgotten by us.

Voltes V (also known as Voltus) 1977
Mazinger Z 1972 (also known as Mazinkaiser) 1999
Science Fiction Saiyuki Starzinger movie (Also known as Fuerza V in Spanish) 1979
Techno Police 21C (movie) 1982

Note: Some series of the list are none-Japanese Anime.

If you know more Classics of Anime series please post it in here. Thank you.

Last edited by nelll; 04-04-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
First I want to say that this threat is not related to Transformers (The movie) by Tejstar.Itís exclusive to Transformers (Anime Series)

Read this is very interesting:

My family always has me underline for being a fan boy with everything (that is not true). Every time I have a new toy or a hobby I will die for it. Today is not the case. Weeks ago I started a collection of Action Anime (they are very expensive). I was born out of USA and the Transformers Idea was very familiar to me. I always said that those Cartoons were similar to a series that I knew (honestly I have them mistaken by relation)

Challenge of the Gobots Vs Transformers.

The Challenge of the Gobots (Mighty Machine) was the first Transformers I knew about. This idea was based on the Machine Robots an Anime series from Japan (1980-1983). Around that time I just find out that Transformers were out too. (1984). so technically the Idea came from Japan.

Success of the Series:

On my research (this Website): http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Go-Bots.html
Claims that due to ( and I quote) "The simple designs and the lack of creativeness the cartoon created by Hanna-Barbera (The gobots) was childish compare with the story line of Transformers"

For more Info and origin of Gobots and Transformers Click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_of_the_GoBots
And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobots

Conclusion: My ignorance was critical to compare the Gobots with Transformers. They may be similar but not the same. I also learn that wanting something does not mean we know the story behind it. The idea came from Japan after all.

I want to mention some of the Classics of Action Anime Today maybe Forgotten by us.

Voltes V (also known as Voltus) 1977
Mazinger Z 1972 (also known as Mazinkaiser) 1999
Science Fiction Saiyuki Starzinger movie (Also known as Fuerza V in Spanish) 1979
Techno Police 21C (movie) 1982

If you know more Classics of Anime series please post it in here. Thank you.
Gobots were the cheap version of Transformers. They even had a shitty cartoon series compared to that of the Transformers. Only thing that I could compare to Transfomers in terms of robots and popularity would be either Robotech or Voltron.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Talking

Godstar The idea was from Japan. Anyways All the Ideas most of the times comes from Japan. They was the best around 1980-1990 (Robot series)

Voltron:

The 1980s Voltron series was based on two vaguely-related Japanese anime series GoLion and Dairugger XV (both originally produced by Toei Animation & Bandai, who also produced the popular Super Sentai series in Japan)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron

They Also have a series on 1999.

Last edited by nelll; 04-03-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 PM

All of which pay tribute to Ultraman.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Robotech would make a sick movie, not to go off topic
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Interestingly enough, there was a short article about the origin of the Transformers toys in the recent book, Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader. The Bathroom Reader series is extremely interesting - it's filled with short articles about the most random and useless subjects. It's great reading in "the throne room" or at night just before dozing off. I highly recommend it to those who love useless (and sometimes a little useful) trivia. Here is the article on the origin of Transformers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader

TRANSFORMERS
Description:
Gian robots that can "transform" into vehicles crash land on Earth from outer space, and wage battle for "energon" cubes.
A Fad is Born! In 1982 Hasbro Toys scoured the world for toys on which they could base cartoons, which they could then use to sell more toys. They bought the rights to three Japanese toy lines: Takara Toys' Car Robots and Micro Change, and Bandai's Machine Men. The toys were all die-cast metal robots that, with a few twists and turns, became toy planes, cars, or other objects. Nearly 20 million of these toys had been sold around the world--but would they sell in the United States? Industry insiders predicted that Hasbro's "Transformers" would flop--complicated Japanese toys were untested and parents would balk at paying $10 for a toy car, they said. But the insiders were wrong. Kids loved the strange new toys and action-packed cartoon. )It didn't hurt that kids could figure out how to make the toys "transform," while their parents couldn't.) By the end of 1985, $380 million worth of Transformers had been sold. Sales and interest declined after that, but various version of the show have been on the air since 1985 and related toys still sell well. The success of Transformers helped make Hasbro the second largest toymaker in the world.
Source: Bathroom Readers' Institute, The. "Toy Fads: Transformers." UNCLE JOHN'S CURIOUSLY COMPELLING BATHROOM READERģ. Ashland, OR: Bathroom Readers' Press, 2006.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Talking

Chad the article is very good. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Robotech would make a sick movie, not to go off topic
If done, right, by say George Lucas ala the first Star Wars production quality...we're talking huge.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
If done, right, by say George Lucas ala the first Star Wars production quality...we're talking huge.
............................Lucas?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
............................Lucas?
Well in the vein of the original Star Wars. I know you probably didn't see it in the 1970's, but I can't remember a single movie that has since been that big. Nothing. LOTR was big, as was matrix, but not even close. I'm not saying he's as good now, as he was then, which is why I had a caveat that referenced the Star Wars timeperiod. The mania that was Star Wars will likley never be repeated.