Friday the 13th Remake: Jason Voorhees (2009) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Friday the 13th Remake: Jason Voorhees (2009)

Friday the 13th Remake Casts Jason Voorhees

Quote:
After announcing last Friday that Jared Padalecki had been cast in the upcoming Friday the 13th remake, we've received more news today on who will play Jason Voorhees, the series' legendary villain. Derek Mears, who has had funky special effects roles in everything from The Hills Have Eyes 2 to D-War to Zathura to Men in Black II, has been confirmed (via Bloody Disgusting) as Jason in the remake. It sounds like this film is starting to come together in high fashion - do we finally have a good revival of a classic horror character in the works?

Padalecki will play a yet unnamed "teen" in the film, who we can assume is the lead in some way, while Mears will now handle the re-envisioning of the hockey-mask-wearing Jason Voorhees. This announcement reminds me of when Tyler Mane was cast as Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's Halloween remake last year. They're both somewhat lesser known actors, but are taking on roles that require their performance to be fine tuned due to an extensive franchise history. I expect Mears is a good fit for the job, given his experience in numerous special effects roles previously.

While Kevin's article focused on Padalecki and his abilities, I'm going to focus on this remake in general. Jason is a classic horror villain that I'm worried could easily be turned into something ridiculously cheesy. Look at Platinum Dunes', Michael Bay's production company that is behind this remake, previous track record: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both remakes), The Amityville Horror, and The Hitcher. That's not a good sign considering I know there are quite a few people who are hoping that this turns out good. And does Mears involvement really mean too much?

This new Friday the 13th is being directed by Marcus Nispel, of the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and last year's flop Pathfinder. The film is currently scheduled to hit theaters on February 13th, 2009. Is this remake starting to look any better or is it yet another guaranteed pile of crap?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Default More News

Mears Circling Jason Role in New Friday the 13th
Source:Bloody-Digusting
March 30, 2008

The dead cat is out of the bag. Actor Derek Mears is in talks to play Jason Voorhees in Platinum Dunes' Friday the 13th. Mears' career kicked off in '95 with Robert Kurtzman's directorial debut, The Demolitionist. He has been most recognized, as of late, for his creature turns in John Carpenter's "Pro-Life" and Fox Atomic's The Hills Have Eyes 2 in which he played Chameleon.

Ken Kirzinger last suited up and strapped on the Voorhees hockey mask in Freddy vs. Jason.

Directed by Marcus Nispel, and written by the F vs. J team Damian Shannon and Mark Swift, Friday the 13th hits theaters on February 13, 2009. Supernatural hunk Jared Padalecki stars.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
Mears Circling Jason Role in New Friday the 13th
Source:Bloody-Digusting
March 30, 2008

The dead cat is out of the bag. Actor Derek Mears is in talks to play Jason Voorhees in Platinum Dunes' Friday the 13th. Mears' career kicked off in '95 with Robert Kurtzman's directorial debut, The Demolitionist. He has been most recognized, as of late, for his creature turns in John Carpenter's "Pro-Life" and Fox Atomic's The Hills Have Eyes 2 in which he played Chameleon.

Ken Kirzinger last suited up and strapped on the Voorhees hockey mask in Freddy vs. Jason.

Directed by Marcus Nispel, and written by the F vs. J team Damian Shannon and Mark Swift, Friday the 13th hits theaters on February 13, 2009. Supernatural hunk Jared Padalecki stars.
He defintely looks the part. I think he makes a good Jason. Looks intimidating without make up.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM

I actually enjoyed Freddy V. Jason the most in the series of the Friday the Thirteenth saga.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM

I think they are running out of ideas. Let's see more sequels for the series, not start the fricken thing over. There is no point.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post
I think they are running out of ideas. Let's see more sequels for the series, not start the fricken thing over. There is no point.
Take a quick look at your avatar and you will see the point.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
Take a quick look at your avatar and you will see the point.
touche........
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdachad View Post
touche........
Really, I think that Holloween was a decent remake, probably not perfect but I was ready for the worst.

Same thing can happen with Jason. This guy Mears looks like Silas from the Da Vinci's Code . Scary as hell, I think he is the perfect fit for the role. With a good script and a different approach, taking the benefits of the new tech CGI, and some grain with solid blacks and perfect details, this new remake could be very welcome.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Ugh, The Halloween Remake was god awful, and easily ranks as one of the worst films of last year.

I don't mind a "reboot"...however, I'm a huge fan of the cheesy Jason X and would like to see where they go from there.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm ready for the new Friday the 13th. As soon as I heard WB took over New Line and that kid from Supernatural was cast, I was sold. I can't wait for opening day.