Troy vs. Troy the Director's Cut - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Troy vs. Troy the Director's Cut

I actually like Troy as a movie (flawed as it may be) and I bought Troy on HD-DVD when last year. Now I've been thinking about buying the Director's Cut. What are the differences? Does it help the film (ala' Kingdon of Heaven)?

Looking for opinions.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Yup, the movie has more depth, and is more violent, and we get to see Diane Krueger bucket nekkid.

I owned this on SD and have it on HD. I love this flick.

-cheez avenger
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Former Member

the DC is vastly improved, especially the opening, very neat.

It isn't as drastic a change as Kingdom of Heaven, or Daredevil, but it does compliment the story nicely, well worth it, especially considering it's cheap as shit right now due to all the Toshiba MIR's
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yup, the movie has more depth, and is more violent, and we get to see Diane Krueger bucket nekkid.

I owned this on SD and have it on HD. I love this flick.

-cheez avenger

Ditto, for me. Although perhaps not my exact wording but it is my exact thoughts.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
the DC is vastly improved, especially the opening, very neat.

It isn't as drastic a change as Kingdom of Heaven, or Daredevil, but it does compliment the story nicely, well worth it, especially considering it's cheap as shit right now due to all the Toshiba MIR's
Ditto this statement. Worth it, but not as drastic a change as Kingdom of Heaven. KoH: DC is, in my opinion, the best improvement on any movie.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM

It seems like I'm the odd one out. First off, I'd like to say I loved Troy.

But the director's cut is worse than the original in my opinion. It expands on a somewhat weak story and conflict between certain characters. But my main complaint is the new score on the DC. The Achilles/Hector showdown to me is totally marred by the new and dull music. Just my thoughts
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM

You should read HDD reviews . It did win the best directors cut of the year award on IGN, KoH coming in second. Personally, I loved the original movie and those extra minutes just made it better.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietduckboi View Post

But the director's cut is worse than the original in my opinion. It expands on a somewhat weak story and conflict between certain characters. But my main complaint is the new score on the DC. The Achilles/Hector showdown to me is totally marred by the new and dull music. Just my thoughts
Completely agree, and was extremely disappointed by that. It just doesn't flow, and is really horrendous compared to the original. Seeing as that's one of the biggest parts in the movie (to me), I was really displeased with the new music. It completely ruined that moment, and didn't jive with the dance of death.

Glad that I bought both. I'm a big fan of the movie Troy.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM

I guess I'll rent the DC on Netflix first and see if its worth the double-dip for me.

I think KoH DC is one of the best historical epic films in quite a while. I prefer it to Gladiator (I do not prefer Bloom's acting to Crowe's however....)
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietduckboi View Post

I agree with the music part, I hated that they changed alot of scenes with new music. The movie was good with the new footage, but the music scenes suck.