2018 RIP Master Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2017, 08:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default 2018 RIP Master Thread

This is the Master Thread for posting and discussing celebrity deaths for calendar year 2018. Posting to this thread does not make a person's death less relevant.

If you feel as though a specific celeb deserves its own thread, by all means start a dedicated thread for that person. Perfect example of someone that would certainly deserve their own thread - Harrison Ford.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Happy New Year everyone. Just a little over 4 hours to go for the East Coast USA clock to strike midnight and reign in 2018. Any predictions for this new year on this morbid subject? No, I'm not asking for a death pool, I am sure there are sites out there with such activities, am just asking if you have any predictions for timely or untimely deaths. Will Keith Richards live another 30 years or could 2018 be his demise? Will Harrison Ford's risky activities cause him to meet his maker? Any rock bands you know of where a member is fighting depression or just on a last leg? Last year we saw Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell take their own lives. Fats Domino and Jerry Lewis succumb to aging complications. Last year was hard on WWF/WWE wrestlers as well - Bobby The Brain Heenan, George The Animal Steel and Supafly Jimmy Snooka.

My quick predictions for big names: Clint Eastwood, Keith Richards, Michael Douglas.
And perhaps an unexpected death for the year: Mel Gibson
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM

I guess I am starting things off for 2018.

Jerry Van Dyke passed away on January 5. Obviously more well known for being Dick Van Dyke's younger brother and a steady career on television, Jerry did appear in some significant supporting roles in a few big films early in his career, namely McLintock, Palm Springs Weekend, and The Courtship of Eddie's Father. He was 86.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Fats Domino and Jerry Lewis succumb to aging complications.
I did find it noticeable that two of the largest icons of early rock and roll, Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, died within 6 days of each other.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

John Mahoney, best known as Frasier's father, Martin Crane in the tv show Frasier died on Sunday, Feb 4.

Primarily a tv actor, he was 77 when.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001498/
Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

No disrespect to the actor but the details are all a bit ?? to me, am sure he had a decent career.

The man that starred in a Star Trek TNG episode, an episode where he was researching how to save a failing sun but he could not complete his work because he turned a certain age and his society requires he die gracefully when they hits said age. Luxana Troi fell in love with him.

It was a small Twitter blip, I can look up the details later unless someone here knows who he was.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
No disrespect to the actor but the details are all a bit ?? to me, am sure he had a decent career.

The man that starred in a Star Trek TNG episode, an episode where he was researching how to save a failing sun but he could not complete his work because he turned a certain age and his society requires he die gracefully when they hits said age. Luxana Troi fell in love with him.

It was a small Twitter blip, I can look up the details later unless someone here knows who he was.
That episode was called Half a Life.
Actor's name was David Ogden Stiers
Probably best known for MASH TV series

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/03/david-og...ers-dies-mash/
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

^^^ thanks. I had seen it mentioned on my Twitter feed from @ Star Trek or such but I was at work and could not find the post later at home. IMDB says he was also known for a few Disney Animated features as well.
I also now remember him from The Regular Show. Am sure to have recognized him for other tv shows, Stargate Atlantis and The Dead Zone.

He has a rather lengthy tv résumé.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001773/

Yeah it's been a slow year so far for major celeb deaths. Guess that's a good thing.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Not exactly a film celeb but a well known man anyway. Stephen Hawking dies at 76.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/o...king-dead.html
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Not exactly a film celeb but a well known man anyway. Stephen Hawking dies at 76.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/o...king-dead.html
A Scientific legend.
RIP Mr Hawking

What's the name of the movie recently out based on his life?