scohen is online now Staff

Default Is CGI Ruining Movies?

Is the industry's use of CGI really that bad, and has the arrival of HDR/WCG only exasperated the problem?

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...g-movies/39723
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

HBarnill is offline Member

Yes! It is!

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

With regards to this new thing called 4K, yes it is. Setting aside the Digital Intermediate, how many movies are produced with 2K effects? Many movies STILL ARE even with 4K catching on! Converting an old movie to 4K might look better because it was shot on film and the effects are real (practical) effects so they're at film resolution.

Star Trek -- Original Series was shot on film and effects were real. The remasters are simply 1080P overlays on some effects. TNG - Shot on film but effects done in low-def so it cost CBS a fair amount to have to reassemble the whole show from scratch and re-do all the effects as they were done in 480P. DS9 - Same as TNG but CBS decided it was so expensive doing TNG that they might not ever get convinced to do the same thing here.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

It's the writing. Writing makes bad effects a non-issue. The problem is we don't care about what's happening, thus we are aware of it all. It becomes the showcase instead of just a tool.

CGI is great when it's not the forefront of the entertainment.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Michael Bay can't even be bothered to do real explosions any more, they do it in CGI!

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
    Michael Bay can't even be bothered to do real explosions any more, they do it in CGI!
    Unfortunately, there are millions of losers across the globe who continue to pay money for his CGI trash Transformer movies

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Unfortunately, there are millions of losers across the globe who continue to pay money for his CGI trash Transformer movies
    Careful, you might start a war.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Careful, you might start a war.
    Bring it on

Transformers and the fast and Furious movies are SHIT

Bolo is offline Member

CGI is just a tool. It can yield good results and bad. I think the 'Planet of the Apes' series is probably the best blockbuster series out there right now and it has more prominent CGI than anybody.

There are lots of times when bad effects (CGI or otherwise) have momentarily pulled me out of a movie I was enjoying. But bad effects moments aren't really the end of the world. So, as far as the idea that one effects tool or another can "ruin movies", I don't agree, I can name lots of other common trends in movies that have a far greater impact on my enjoyment of them than the quality of the effects.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Bring it on

Transformers and the fast and Furious movies are SHIT
    Honestly never seen all the FF movies. I have a box set and made it up to Fast Five so far. This series gets much better once they start doing major heists, which they did in Fast Five. It is amazing they got to Five as the first 4 were so MEH that the series should have been canceled. Then again it's like the "Step Up" movies.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Honestly never seen all the FF movies. I have a box set and made it up to Fast Five so far. This series gets much better once they start doing major heists, which they did in Fast Five. It is amazing they got to Five as the first 4 were so MEH that the series should have been canceled. Then again it's like the "Step Up" movies.
    I thought 5 was one of the most outlandish, ridiculous of the bunch. Like Transformers, the first of these movies were decent but after they all went downhill IMO

Onslaught X is offline Expert Industry Analyst

Transformers: The Last Knight is the funniest movie of the year. I fell asleep for about 25 minutes, couldn't decipher what was going on and I found out after that nobody else could even with those 25 min of context.

There's a hilarious Robot Butler on speed, and the woman Michael Bay chose as the lead, Bay outdid himself, Sweet Christmas.
    Don't Reach, Young Blood

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    Transformers: The Last Knight is the funniest movie of the year. I fell asleep for about 25 minutes, couldn't decipher what was going on and I found out after that nobody else could even with those 25 min of context.

There's a hilarious Robot Butler on speed, and the woman Michael Bay chose as the lead, Bay outdid himself, Sweet Christmas.
    This post literally made me LOL