Is 'Logan' The End of Superhero Movies? (Or the Beginning of Phase Two)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Staff

Default Is 'Logan' The End of Superhero Movies? (Or the Beginning of Phase Two)?

James Mangold's Logan has been met with almost universal acclaim, cementing itself as one of the best superhero movies of the modern era. But with its sobering deconstruction of larger-than-life comic book archetypes and tropes, does the film also mark the limits of its genre?

Check out our thoughts and The Nerdwriter's recent video essay on the subject!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...hase-two/39214
Old 05-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen View Post
James Mangold's Logan has been met with almost universal acclaim, cementing itself as one of the best superhero movies of the modern era. But with its sobering deconstruction of larger-than-life comic book archetypes and tropes, does the film also mark the limits of its genre?

Check out our thoughts and The Nerdwriter's recent video essay on the subject!
So he defined 4 different categories but could only list 2 superhero films that fit those categories? I think that pretty much makes his conclusions flawed. The Dark Knight was nine years ago. So if superhero movies are dying (or dead), it is/was a damned long death that no one bothered to inform the movie studios that this corpse was rotting.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM

I would say that with the latest critical acclaim and financial success that Wonder Woman is experiencing, if superhero movies were on the downslide, they just got one hell of a shot in the arm. I saw Wonder Woman this past weekend. It's wonderful.

If these films are done well, the genre will continue to survive no doubt. The bad ones will suffer as they should.