Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in Dolby Cinema - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in Dolby Cinema - HDD Review

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the single most vibrant and resplendent Dolby Vision title to date. And the Atmos mix is pretty awesome too. If you enjoyed Vol. 1, get your Walkman ready to put Vol. 2 on repeat.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...y-cinema/38966
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

"To find a Dolby Cinema at AMC location near you, click HERE. Thanks again to everyone at Dolby for such an amazing night."

So when I check the link, I have an AMC theater locally which is AMC Stonybrook 20. When I select tickets for the IMAX showing, does that mean it's going to be Dolby Vision? I'm assuming this is like a 4K or HDR showing?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Ok, I did a little research and answered my own question. AMC Stonybrook 20 is not a Dolby Cinema theater yet. I don't even see Kentucky or Louisville on the Coming Soon list. My next question is what would be the equivalent to a Dolby Vision showing? There's an Xscape Theater locally that states they have 4K Digital Projection. Is it possible that I'd still be able to watch GoG Vol. 2 in 4K that would match Dolby Vision quality?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Ok, I did a little research and answered my own question. AMC Stonybrook 20 is not a Dolby Cinema theater yet. I don't even see Kentucky or Louisville on the Coming Soon list. My next question is what would be the equivalent to a Dolby Vision showing? There's an Xscape Theater locally that states they have 4K Digital Projection. Is it possible that I'd still be able to watch GoG Vol. 2 in 4K that would match Dolby Vision quality?
Dolby Vision is more than just 4k. It also has High Dynamic Range brightness and contrast with Wide Color Gamut colors.

IMAX laser projection is the only theatrical format that is at all comparable (not regular IMAX, specifically laser projection). Even then, Dolby claims better specs and Atmos sound.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Dolby Vision is more than just 4k. It also has High Dynamic Range brightness and contrast with Wide Color Gamut colors.

IMAX laser projection is the only theatrical format that is at all comparable (not regular IMAX, specifically laser projection). Even then, Dolby claims better specs and Atmos sound.
Well, it looks like I'm out of luck here in Louisville when it comes to Dolby Vision and IMAX Laser projection. So what exactly does it mean when the theater says it has 4K projectors like the one I linked?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

They are probably using one of Christie's blub based 4K projectors. Here is an example:

https://www.christiedigital.com/en-u...nema-projector

Dolby Vision Theaters use Christie Laser Projectors
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Well, it looks like I'm out of luck here in Louisville when it comes to Dolby Vision and IMAX Laser projection. So what exactly does it mean when the theater says it has 4K projectors like the one I linked?
It just means that their projectors have 4k pixel panels, nothing more. Whether the extra resolution is noticeable over a 2k projector depends on how big the screen is, how close you sit, and other factors. Above 2k, extra resolution brings diminishing returns. High Dynamic Range and Wide Color Gamut are bigger improvements.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

This is the first movie I've seen in Dolby Cinema that is actually worth the extra money. After disappointing experiences with Logan, Beauty & the Beast, & Rogue One, the picture in this one truly stands apart from the others. I still wouldn't call this "revelatory" as modern 3D (via a high lumen projector) took that honor, but clearly right now, if you want the best 2D experience on a large screen, Dolby Cinema is your ticket.

Btw, Atmos was just "meh".
Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
This is the first movie I've seen in Dolby Cinema that is actually worth the extra money. After disappointing experiences with Logan, Beauty & the Beast, & Rogue One, the picture in this one truly stands apart from the others. I still wouldn't call this "revelatory" as modern 3D (via a high lumen projector) took that honor, but clearly right now, if you want the best 2D experience on a large screen, Dolby Cinema is your ticket.

Btw, Atmos was just "meh".

What theater did you watch it at and in what city if you don't mind me asking?