RIP George Gaynes (Police Academy, Punky Brewster) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Default RIP George Gaynes (Police Academy, Punky Brewster)

George Gaynes, 98, died on Monday, February 15th, 2016. He had been a character actor for over 50 years and was probably best known for playing Commandant Eric Lassard in Police Academy, who usually had his goldfish with him wherever he went, and Henry Warnimont in Punky Brewster, as Punky's adoptive father. RIP
Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Wow what a long life for George. I was just wondering about him the other day when I was watching one of my Police Academy BDs, ironically it was #5 where he reaches the mandatory retirement age. I knew David Graf died years ago.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM

That is amazing, I thought he'd have died years ago. Well done Lassard!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 AM

"George Gaynes ( May 16, 1917 To February 15, 2016 )" was an "American Singer", "Actor", "Voice Artist", "Comedy Performer Of Stage", "Screen" & "Television". Born to "Dutch" and "Russian Parents" in "Finland", he Grew up in "France, England" and "Switzerland". After Serving in the "Royal Netherlands Navy" During "World War II", he "Immigrated" to the "United States" where he became a Citizen and began his Acting Career on "Broadway". His most Recognized Roles in Cinema were "Arguably", that of Commandant "Eric Lassard" in the "Police Academy" Series and the Comedy Film "Tootsie". To Television Fans, he is Perhaps best Remembered as the "Curmudgeonly" but Lovable Foster Parent "Henry Warnimont" on the NBC Series "Punky Brewster" as High - Powered Theatrical Producer "Arthur Feldman" on "The Days And Night Of Molly Dodd" in which Geynes Real - Life Wife, "Allen Ann McLerie" Co - Starred as his Love Interest and as "Frank Smith" the Mob Boss Brought Down by "Luke Spencer" on the "Soap Opera General Hospital".