HDD Remembers the Work of James Horner - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Default HDD Remembers the Work of James Horner

With the tragic passing of this iconic film composer, we thought the best way to pay tribute to the man was by remembering his incredible body of work, which spanned nearly four decades, with ten Academy Award nominations, and two wins.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...s-horner/23903
Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM

James Horner was, and is, one of my favorite film composers. I have many of his soundtracks in my collection. Your top 10 list only serves to underscore the level of this man's talent as there are many others not mentioned here that I really enjoy listening to. Among those not listed, but still among my favorite Horner film scores are Legends of the Fall and The Perfect Storm. Whether or not you like these films themselves, Horner's contribution to these two is, in my opinion, among his best work. I also like what he brought to the two Jack Ryan films that he scored, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. Without a doubt, the man was a musical giant.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I agree with dommie. The list is a fantastic representation of Horner and I applaud Matthew for not doing a simple cut and paste from IMDB. A cut and paste would have included Avatar, I'm sure Matthew thought about it and it would have been too easy to include it, but is it truly representative of "top 10" status? It probably was very hard to come up with a list that includes only 10 productions. Honestly the first thing that came to my mind was Star Trek 2/3. Looking at the list I say to myself "oh shit" as I had watched Jumanji on my last weekend off.

To our readers here, if you don't have much to input on this discussion, let me ask you this simplistic question. What's the first movie that comes to mind when you think James Horner and why? (oh oh, sounds like a Weekend Roundtable Blog discussion as well)

Check IMDB as well, the default will show all his "Music Department" roles. Click on Composer, click on Soundtrack, open those babies up.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000035/
Old 06-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Glory was one of those soundtracks I listened to obsessively through middle school and high school alongside Conan the Barbarian and The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

This list was insanely hard to pull together - I didn't want too many from films by the same director, hence the reason Apocalypto wasn't up there, and Legends of the Fall didn't make the cut. The man did too many amazing movie scores. 10 was hard enough and then ranking them was even more difficult. I will say I had a blast listening to my soundtrack collection while I pulled this thing together.