LAST STAND OF THE 300 THE LEGENDARY BATTLE OF THEMOPYLAE. Documentary (DVD) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Default LAST STAND OF THE 300 THE LEGENDARY BATTLE OF THEMOPYLAE. Documentary (DVD)

First I want to say that this is a documentary that give a panoramic idea from the historical point of view. It includes a few fighting scenes but do not expect them to be in slow motion like 300 or to have the same CGI effects. I think is a valid approach from the history channel. The widescreen presentation is a SD DVD some issues regarding the PQ and AQ maybe present, still is a must rent for history junkies like me.

Original article:

THE HISTORY CHANNEL PRESENTS: LAST STAND OF THE 300 THE LEGENDARY BATTLE OF THEMOPYLAE.

A great 90-minute documentary that chronicles the real battle where the 300 Spartans battled the Persian army and was the basis for the movie 300. It is a nice companion to the film and expands the battle with numerous historical details and much more about the battle including the naval fight where the Spartans rigorously fought off hundreds of Persian ships. The good part is that while it is a documentary, there is still a slew of action and violence involved for any documentary while still presenting what is happening as fact rather than on the back of a green screen. There is also some great insight behind the battle strategy used by the Spartans and how the Persians utterly failed at understanding it.

Synopsis:
It was one of the greatest standoffs in military history: the Battle of Thermopylae. For seven days, 300 Spartans held off an army of a million Persians. It is also one of the most perplexing. How was it possible? Speaking with the leading authorities, and using the latest computer graphics, THE LAST OF THE 300 sheds light on this amazing historical moment, showing how the Spartans beat the odds with their brilliant tactics and steely resolve.

In Addition to this:

From the Movie 300 HD DVD Special features:

Preparing for battle: The original footage (In mi personal opinion this short clip is very good)

The 300 fact or fiction: (A must see) 24:33 minutes

An interview with Dr. Victor Davis Hanson (Author, Historian) and Bettany Huges (also Author, Historian) they made a short highlight and direct comparison between the movie and the factual events.

The PIP is a must see:

The picture in picture from the movie 300 is superb. I was thinking myself why they have not created a second movie with vivid colors for a hand to hand comparison. Anyway this feature is very welcome.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 AM

It's a great disc. You should check out The Dark Ages as well.