Ingmar Bergman Dead at 89 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Ingmar Bergman Dead at 89

Well very sad news today for lovers of film. Ingmar Bergman, considered one of the absolute masters of cinema, and a national treasure of Sweden, has passed away. I know many on here absolutely adore this man's work, and we have it to watch and rewatch forever. "Fanny and Alexander" remains one of my all-time favorite films, and of course, there are so many others. Think I'll go watch my copy of "Persona" I ordered just a few weeks back!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Former Member

If there were a non AFI top 100 movies ever made, Bergman would have a couple near the very top. Criterion fans are the most likely people in the US to have seen his work.

The Seventh Seal is one of the absolute all-time masterpieces, so this is sad news. It's like losing a less commercially accepted Hitchcock.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 AM

What a s***ty week for cinema.

I watched Blow-Up tonight. I'm going to buy a few rolls of 35mm film tomorrow morning, drag out one of my Pentax KX bodies and go to the Bronx Zoo.

My thoughts on Tom Snyder, Ingmar Bergman, Bill Walsh and Michelangelo Antonioni are here -- http://2bq.livejournal.com/27605.html