Transformers - Who would have done a better job? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Transformers - Who would have done a better job?

I don't care for the Transformers movies.

I attribute that to the director. I enjoy Michael Bay movies, but his style in combination with the Transformer designs just doesn't work for me. Aside from writing and directing, visually it always feels cluttered and unenjoyable to try and follow.

So what directors would have made a better Transformers movie?

I'd say James Cameron would do it the best, keeping it a big, over the top, Hollywood film but not going in the dark direction films are trending (Nolan).

Though Nolan would have made an interesting Transformers film.

I'd like to see what Paul W.S. Anderson could do, though he wouldn't have been given the same kind of budget.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 PM

It's a movie about giant robots fighting each other. They just needed to take out the dick/piss humor, racist robots, and lebuf and it would have been pretty good.

The 4th has already taken out one of those, if they work on the other two it might turn out ok.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
It's a movie about giant robots fighting each other. They just needed to take out the dick/piss humor, racist robots, and lebuf and it would have been pretty good.

The 4th has already taken out one of those, if they work on the other two it might turn out ok.
I know that The Beef takes a lot of heat, but honestly I think he was about the least objectionable of all those movies' problems.

Remember, after TF2, Michael Bay promised that the third movie would have no more "dorky humor." Then he hired Ken Jeong for a major role.

Michael Bay is a liar.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I know that The Beef takes a lot of heat, but honestly I think he was about the least objectionable of all those movies' problems.
You may be right about that. I think he got a bad rep due to a series of average movies where his staring role is largely forgetable (Disturbia, Eagle Eye), then was in BAD movies related to beloved franchises (Transformers, Crystal Skull). He was very good in Lawless, showing he can hold his own.

I think the point at which he'd blow us away with his acting chops has passed though. I can't imagine some movie coming out making us take a second look at his ability, nor can I really picture him being a very appealing older actor.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Guillermo del Toro, I love what he did with Pac Rim
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Cat View Post
Guillermo del Toro, I love what he did with Pac Rim
You are right, he did a fantastic job, which made me see how a moder day CGI live action Transformers movie could actually be watchable. I think what really did it was the camera angles. You could always see what was happening, and there were many great techniques to keep a feel of the scope of things (like upward camera angles and keeping reference objects in shots).

I was thinking, Ang Lee might make an interesting Transformers movie (sure, his Hulk movie wasn't that good...).
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
'd like to see what Paul W.S. Anderson could do, though he wouldn't have been given the same kind of budget.
Wet Shit should never be allowed to make movies...ever. He's awful. His films are worst on almost every level than Bay's.

Personally, I'd like to see Brad Bird do it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I don't care for the Transformers movies.

I attribute that to the director. I enjoy Michael Bay movies, but his style in combination with the Transformer designs just doesn't work for me. Aside from writing and directing, visually it always feels cluttered and unenjoyable to try and follow.

So what directors would have made a better Transformers movie?

I'd say James Cameron would do it the best, keeping it a big, over the top, Hollywood film but not going in the dark direction films are trending (Nolan).

Though Nolan would have made an interesting Transformers film.

I'd like to see what Paul W.S. Anderson could do, though he wouldn't have been given the same kind of budget.
I think Peter Jackson probably do a good job. Hopefully he would start over, but given the universe I think he could run with it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Wet Shit should never be allowed to make movies...ever. He's awful. His films are worst on almost every level than Bay's.

Personally, I'd like to see Brad Bird do it.
Okay, I gotta disagree with you here. I'm not a 100% Michael Bay hater (the Bad Boys movies were fun), but P.W.S.A. has a visual flair that I like very much. Are is movies "good"? Not really. But he has a style. Just look at Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, Alien VS Predator (terrible movie, but visually interesting, and 100x better than AVP2). And the Resident Evil movies he directed are like crazy zombie theme park rides. Probably my favorite series for turning my brain off and just enjoying the ride.

I'd never try and defend Bay, but Anderson has tallent that isn't appreciated enough. Perhaps if he directed a good script, with good actors, that would change.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Considering what the movies made:

TF: 709m WW
TF:ROF 835m WW
TF: DotM: 1.1b WW

The studios probably feel that Michael Bay did a good job.

Plus if you figure in how much merchandising is associated with these films, Hasboro probably loves MB too.

After all, these movies are meant to appeal to the highest number of people as possible.

As far as a "Good" TF movie is concerned, I don't think we'll ever see it anytime soon.