Rum Diary.....I can't wait!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Default Rum Diary.....I can't wait!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0yqS3jodU "Just wait until that poor bastard starts seeing these bats"...

Wrong book, I know...I just half expected Depp to say that! Ha ha!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 PM

I don't have high hopes for this. Hasn't it been in the can for a couple years? Not like Depp wasn't huge a couple years ago. Makes me think other things went wrong. I hope I am wrong since the book was great and Depp is playing a Thompsonesque character which he will be great at. I just have a bad feeling about this one. Again, I hope I am wrong.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
I don't have high hopes for this. Hasn't it been in the can for a couple years? Not like Depp wasn't huge a couple years ago. Makes me think other things went wrong. I hope I am wrong since the book was great and Depp is playing a Thompsonesque character which he will be great at. I just have a bad feeling about this one. Again, I hope I am wrong.
I don't think it was in the can, but was in actual development hell for like 10 years or so.

EDIT - looks like they started filming it in 2009, so it technically was in the can for about 16 months or so.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I don't think it was in the can, but was in actual development hell for like 10 years or so.

EDIT - looks like they started filming it in 2009, so it technically was in the can for about 16 months or so.
Well maybe there was some weird special effects to be done that took awhile. I really do hope this is the case as Fear and Loathing was awesome.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
Well maybe there was some weird special effects to be done that took awhile. I really do hope this is the case as Fear and Loathing was awesome.
Starting filming to actual theatrical release...16 months isn't that out of the ordinary. Its not like every shot is "for the edit"......post production, even without CGI can take months.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 AM

the thing I dont get is Depp is way too old to be playing the Thompson character. he was in his early 20's in the book and it was a fiction book so its not gonna even be any HST craziness. Still I'll be there opening weekend.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:16 AM

I will be seeing this in theaters, because I actually saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I was super young when I saw it and the old people were laughing about as hard as I was at what was going on on the screen. Good times.