Scorsese wants De Niro and Pacino for 'Sinatra' (OH MY!) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Default Scorsese wants De Niro and Pacino for 'Sinatra' (OH MY!)

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010...no-robert.html

Quote:
While doing press rounds for "Shutter Island" which only opened in India this past weekend, Martin Scorsese spoke with national newspaper The Hindu and took the opportunity to talk about one of his many gestating projects, a biopic of American music icon Frank Sinatra.

As we previously reported, the director has noted that Sinatra's life is epic, making the straightforward biopic particularly difficult, and Scorsese is hoping an approach with a few actors playing the singer at various points in his life will allow him an entry into the story saying, "We canít go through the greatest hits of Sinatraís life. We tried this already. Just canít do it. So the other way to go is to have three or four different Sinatras. Younger. Older. Middle-aged. Very old. You cut back and forth in time Ė and you do it through the music. See what Iím saying? So thatís what weíre trying for. Itís very tricky [laughs]."

While names like Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Brad Pitt have been batted around as actors Scorsese would love to work with at some point (though none of them have officially been offered anything at this point), it looks like the director already has his wishlist sorted out for who will play the older incarnations of Sinatra and Dean Martin: "I'm yet to spot the actor who can bring back Frank Sinatra alive on screen. My choice is Al Pacino, and Robert De Niro as Dean Martin."

Um, holy shit. While it's obviously only dream casting at this point, that would make a helluva duo to play the singers in the later stages of their career. We're a little unsure about Pacino, but in the same interview, Scorsese says he's the only actor who match De Niro's talents. At the very least, if he does get cast surely Scorsese can get him to tone down the "hoo-ha" for the part.

However, until a concrete script and cast come together for this, the film will just be one of many -- including "The Irishman," "Silence," a couple of down-and-dirty street movies, a handful of documentaries -- that remain on Scorsese's slate of projects. There's no word on when this will go in front of cameras, but if a script gets locked in that Scorsese likes and that meets with the approval of the various estates involved, it could rapidly move up the pecking order for the director. Scorsese, meantime, is set to begin work next month in Paris on his first 3D film, "Hugo Cabret," starring Chloe Moretz, Asa Butterfield, Sacha Baron Cohen and Ben Kingsley.

this is AWESOME news!!!

Scorsese wanting to bring two of the best and most compared actors back together and perhaps make their performances and characters rival the ones they portrayed in Heat. i remember reading that he actually offered Pacino the Jimmy Conway role of GoodFellas but the big P said he didn't wana be typecasted as a gangster, even though he went on to play Big Boy Caprice in Dick Tracy that same year.

i hope this happens..i really, really, hope this happens.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM

If he lands Pacino as Sinatra and DeNiro as Martin, this movie may be the first I see in theaters each day for a full week at least. To say I had this film hyped in my mind since I read the announcement (I'm a big Sinatra fan too), this dream casting would put me over the moon.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Wow, this is going to be a fun project to watch!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
If he lands Pacino as Sinatra and DeNiro as Martin, this movie may be the first I see in theaters each day for a full week at least. To say I had this film hyped in my mind since I read the announcement (I'm a big Sinatra fan too), this dream casting would put me over the moon.
haha yeah well i don't think i'll ever see a movie 7 days in a row (there's always Batman 3 though) but yes, this "wanting" is colossal. it'd be amazing to see both actors in the same kind of greatness that they've only achieved once, and to bring them back as flat out terrific actors since that last meeting is mind bottling. i only know a tad about Sinatra and Martin but i was in the same boat with Howard Hughes and after seeing the excellent The Aviator i read up about him and watched several docs.

i hope Sinatra is everything The Aviator was plus everything it didn't end up being, and if Pacino and De Niro get planted in permanently, i'll be ecstatic. just thinking about Pacino, one of my very favorite actors (yes, more than De Niro. i love them both though), working with one of the three directors tied for my favorite is pretty awesome.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 PM

bamboo--I'm a big Sinatra fan myself.
in fact, I just recently got a few more of his original albums on cd--
Sinatra and Swinging Brass and Come Fly With Me.
He really does have a ton of albums.
I think I have around 10 or so now, but want a bunch more.
I like such a wide range of music, and I have to have my crooner music when the need arises.
can't say I have too much Dino, but maybe one day.
I do have one cd that is an actual original Rat Pack Las Vegas show.
really cool to hear the whole act.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm not gonna hold my breath, I'm still waiting for I Heard You Paint Houses.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
bamboo--I'm a big Sinatra fan myself.
in fact, I just recently got a few more of his original albums on cd--
Sinatra and Swinging Brass and Come Fly With Me.
He really does have a ton of albums.
I think I have around 10 or so now, but want a bunch more.
I like such a wide range of music, and I have to have my crooner music when the need arises.
can't say I have too much Dino, but maybe one day.
I do have one cd that is an actual original Rat Pack Las Vegas show.
really cool to hear the whole act.
Nice. I have most of Sinatra on .mp3, but grab some vinyl of his whenever I can (he has a ton or albums out there).

I grew up listening to Sinatra and Dino (I'm in my early 20s, but grew up Italian-American in Brooklyn...hard to not listen to Dino and Sinatra).

I'm really excited about them using actual recordings of Sinatra for the soundtrack instead of having people try to sound like him or "interpret" him. I remember reading somewhere that Scorsese was asked this and his reply was along the lines of "It is Sinatra, how can you not use his voice?"
Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

yeah they need to use the original recordings for sure.
good move to not "pull a Val Kilmer" on us like "The Doors" film did.
I mean he did a good job, but this needs to be the real deal.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
yeah they need to use the original recordings for sure.
good move to not "pull a Val Kilmer" on us like "The Doors" film did.
I mean he did a good job, but this needs to be the real deal.
Definitely, although I did enjoy Kilmer.

If anyone ever wants to see how badly things can go wrong when others sing Sinatra...don't even bother going to a karaoke bar, just see Rod Stewart's American Songbook. Someone bought my mom the CD as a gift...midway through him butchering "The Way You Look Tonight," I got up from the dinner table, took the CD out and tossed it in the garbage. The thoughtfulness of the gift was naturally appreciated, but the music was not.

Needless to say, I do not think anyone can replicate Sinatra's voice even if there have been songs that he has sung also sung very well by others (see: Bobby Darin), it is always because that artist is not trying to "do Sinatra"

BTW...awesome avatar.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM

I understand Sinatra is a elgend and all but I never cared for his music. like many other people, if Scorsese is behind it, with DeNiro on board, I'm sure it will being great. I hope Joe Pesci gets a role.