Would old-school film-makers have embraced or hated todays technology? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Would old-school film-makers have embraced or hated todays technology?

How would Kurosawa or Hitchock or whomever have felt about all the gadgets and toys at the filmmakers disposal these days? Would they have been like a kid in a candy shop or would they have just shrugged it off as gimmicky? Im curious if given the opportunity if they would have remade or reshot some of there films using todays tech?

Even a guy like David Lean who did a lot of epic-feeling films.... would he have been drooling at the CGI possibilities with Lawrence of Arabia?

For the ones(if any) are still alive, what do they think of todays "epic" films?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Hated. CGI is the tool of a lazy director.

I don't see Kurosawa or Hitchcock being into that crap at all.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Hitchcock loved gimmicks, and used every cinematic tool at his disposal. And if he didn't have a tool he wanted, he invented it. So, yes, I have no doubt that he would embrace all that modern technology has to offer, and would find innovative ways to put it to good use.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Hitchcock loved gimmicks, and used every cinematic tool at his disposal. And if he didn't have a tool he wanted, he invented it. So, yes, I have no doubt that he would embrace all that modern technology has to offer, and would find innovative ways to put it to good use.
You might have a point, but I would so hate to see it. Hitchcock did great things with optical means and tricks, but I hate to think that he would CGI the movie to death, ala George Lucas.

How about Ray Harryhausen?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM

I think that Hitchcock and Harryhausen both would have used digital effects had they been available. Both progressed the use of optical illusion effects, which were sort of the equivalent at that time, so I think it would stand to reason both would have used the cutting edge technology at whatever time.....

Kurosawa I'm not so sure about, and also have to confess less than an extensive knowledge of his work, so I am not in a good place to comment honestly.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
I think that Hitchcock and Harryhausen both would have used digital effects had they been available. Both progressed the use of optical illusion effects, which were sort of the equivalent at that time, so I think it would stand to reason both would have used the cutting edge technology at whatever time.....

Kurosawa I'm not so sure about, and also have to confess less than an extensive knowledge of his work, so I am not in a good place to comment honestly.
Kurosawa did "Dreams," which makes me think that he would have gone into CGI stuff in certain areas, but he was most famous for films that don't really have special effects of any real measure.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 AM

So, the more I think about it, Josh and Gunyaga are probably right, although I hate to imagine it.

Harryhausen's work was special to me as a kid and it was absolute cinematic magic. I watched skeletons come to life with people fighting them... cyclopses ran around, medusa, king kong, sea monsters... these creatures all felt real to me. I know that CGI creatures can look better when done right, but I feel that they are not done right nearly often enough.

My revised statement is this: I think that Hitchcock would have used CGI, but would have been tasteful about it. I don't really think that Kurosawa would have done anything. I think that Harryhausen really might have used it... I don't know how he would have done it or how much, but I suppose he would.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Former Member

case in point for me: George A Romero. he's pretty old, has been doing this for some time. watching his 3 most recent zombie films, it's pretty obvious where he stands, and it sucks.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Harryhausen is still alive, and has been sitting for a lot of interviews in recent years. I haven't followed them actively, but I bet somebody must have asked him about CGI at some point.

If he were still working, I have a feeling that he'd use CGI for some things, like wire removal or touch-ups. But I don't think he'd ever make a fully CGI movie. His craft was stop motion. It's a craft that some filmmakers still use, in movies like Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Wallace & Gromit, and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I don't think he'd abandon that. He might use the latest technology to improve it, however.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM

good point, Josh, I hadn't thought about it that way, (stop motion as a separate method or art form).

I was just thinking, hey, he was using the cusp of technology, so yeah, he'd use CGI, but I can definitely buy into your argument.