Third "Ring" thriller coming out in 3D - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Default Third "Ring" thriller coming out in 3D

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....out-3d-reuters

Combining two of Hollywood's consuming passions -- sequels and 3D -- Paramount is moving ahead with a new installment of the horror thriller franchise "The Ring."

The third entry based on the Japanese horror movies is being called "Ring 3D."

The original movie, an English-language remake of a 1998 Japanese film, was a critical and commercial hit when it was released in 2002, and it helped usher in a period when Hollywood turned to Asia for horror inspiration. The movies made during that wave tended to be less gory and thus carried PG-13 ratings, and they tried to attract a more female-centric audience.

The first film also opened doors for its director, Gore Verbinski, who went on to direct Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, and gave a bigger American platform to its Australian star, Naomi Watts. A sequel was made in 2005.

The plot of the original film centered on a young journalist investigating a mysterious videotape that seemed to cause the death of anyone within a week of viewing it.

The new film is being fashioned as more teen-centric than the first, and though the plot is being kept under wraps, the aim is to reinvent the franchise. One potential scenario involves teens finding a VHS player that still works.

No director is on board. The script will be written by David Loucka, who penned the Watts-Daniel Craig thriller "Dream House" currently being shot by Morgan Creek.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. Not so sure about the second one though. So, where will this fit in, I wonder?

We'll see.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Yeah, the first one rocked. I remember seeing it at the theater, everyone just pissed and shit themselves. It was wild!

I like part 2, but it's only an okay sequel.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM

I see my recent letter went ignored...or this is a cruel response. I specifically demanded that they not make anymore of these. Yet, here we are.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Teen centric? Logan Lerman, Jonas Bro. here we come!

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Not sure how to feel about this. I loved the first one and thought the second one was okay, but this one will probably suck as you know it's going to be a quick cash-in. The film will be a hit, particularly since it is horror of a widely known film and it is going to be in 3D.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM

yeah i saw this earlier at RT and though "........"

the first one scared the living shit out of me and sadly i wasn't all that young (13)

2 was a solid sequel and miles better than 99% of the other recent horror films made. Watts is probably my favorite actress, and though i can't see them making a film as good as, 2 which wasn't as good as 1, out of this one, i'm still hoping for solidity, if only for Watts.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM

First one was good, never watched the second, just didn't look good.