Eastwood set to make J. Edgar Hoover biopic - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Eastwood set to make J. Edgar Hoover biopic

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...direct-hoover/

Quote:

Clint Eastwood is gearing up to tackle the life of J. Edgar Hoover in a project being developed by Brian Grazer and Imagine Entertainment. Eastwood will work with Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, who has written the script for Imagine. The movie will follow Hoover’s career, from the founding of the FBI in 1935 to his long tenure as director of the crime-fighting organization that lasted until 1972 when he died. Should Eastwood decide to make it his next film, he will produce it with Grazer through his Malpaso Productions.

It’s still unclear what studio will land the project, which was originally set up at Universal. It will likely move to Warner Bros., which has produced and financed the majority of Eastwood’s work. Eastwood just finished working on the drama Hereafter starring Matt Damon. Warner Bros. intends to release that film in October.
that'd be awesome if he gave Billy Crudup the starring role as Hoover so he could continue his small but great performance in Public Enemies into a full fledged oscar caliber performance.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

I really wish they'd give the part to Crudup, but sadly it will undoubtedly go to some A-lister like Damon or something.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
I really wish they'd give the part to Crudup, but sadly it will undoubtedly go to some A-lister like Damon or something.
yeah i just don't see them taking him from a different movie world in PE and bringing him into this. Damon's a good bet cuz it seems that him and Clint are good buddies now. but he does have RFK on his plate so we'll see. if Clint gives the part to Crudup i'll be very surprised but like the actor/director/legend even more.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Crudup was awesome in PE.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Looking forward to this. Hope they keep it 100% accurate and not emblish any part of his life.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Looking forward to this. Hope they keep it 100% accurate and not emblish any part of his life.
Eastwood's a G at keeping things realistic and accurate while at the same time extremely entertaining. i think he'll do a bang up job.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree with Lee --- I sure hope that J. Edgar Hoover is shown for who he really was (not a great man IMO). He became a power hungry fool, which was not surprising with his strong Masonic ties. Hope the movie chronicles the feud with Bobby & JFK too...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxlucas View Post
I agree with Lee --- I sure hope that J. Edgar Hoover is shown for who he really was (not a great man IMO). He became a power hungry fool, which was not surprising with his strong Masonic ties. Hope the movie chronicles the feud with Bobby & JFK too...
haha when i read Lee's post i instantly thought of your posts in the RFK thread.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
haha when i read Lee's post i instantly thought of your posts in the RFK thread.
haha yeah. I mean I understand your position that a movie can be entertaining without being accurate - I agree (The Hurt Locker is a good case for that). However, I do believe it takes away the "shine" and "overall greatness" of a film. That's it.

J. Edgar Hoover was an interesting figure because of his back door deals that went against JFK's administration. A lot of questions surround his sexuality, which I am sure will be explored a bit in the movie (as many say it influenced his demeanor and how he treated people).
Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxlucas View Post
"Ultimate power ultimately corrupts"

It was once said that Hoover was the most powerful man in Washington.

But you have to understand his beginnings - what he did to create the FBI from first United States Bureau of Investigation, then the Division of Investigation and finally the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

He was unique among all government people. He held the Directors job for 48 years. (Congress passed a law that the term could not exceed 10 years after his death)

A man I would compare Hoover to would be Howard Hughes.