What Are The Factors That Determine Which Titles Are "Must Own?" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Default What Are The Factors That Determine Which Titles Are "Must Own?"

I love the site and have been visiting since I first bought an HD-DVD player back in the day. I also highly regard your "Must Own" titles as the best-of-the-best. It use to be that this seal of approval was handed out rarely but as of late, it seems to be handed out more often. I didn't know if it was because the discs keep raising the bar or if the review methodology has changed. In paticular, I was curious about the discrepancy between the overall rating of "Boogie Nights" and "Che."

First off, I want to say that I really liked "Che" and love "Boogie Nights." This is just an objective query, nothing personal. I'm a big fan of the site and blu-ray, which is why I felt compelled to start this thread. Using the math in your Review Methodology page, if the "Che" review was rounded it would yield a perfect 5 stars. I wanted to know if rounding ever occurred in your reviews? Also, if the overall star score is greater on "Che" than "Boogie Nights" why doesn't "Che" get a "Must Own" seal of approval too? What is the final factor that determines "Highly Recommend" or "Must Own?" Does it come down to the reviewer's opinion, just like the movie score and completely subjective?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

schmicky84
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM

I would say that the determination of whether the reviewer puts the phrase "highly recommended" or "must-own" is indeed purely subjective--in other words strictly opinion.
I have seen numerous films with equally high number ratings get one or the other I am assuming simply based on reviewer preference.
In fact, there are many older movies that might not have gotten a 5 star pq score, but imo certainly qualify as "must own" titles.
as one educates oneself and becomes more aware of the history of cinema, these instances will become more obvious.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Former Member

i cannot speak for other reviewers, but i base my recommendation as a whole on more than just the final score tally. that plays a great influence in the recommendation used, but you can have a 4 star straight across the board, or a terrible film with 5's on everything but the movie itself. i'd consider one of those recommended, while the other a headscratcher, somewhere between for fans only and rent it, as bad cinema is bad cinema, no matter how shiny it is.

the biggest part of my recommendation comes from the strength of the film, i'll admit it. i will never, EVER recommend some films, no matter how amazing they look/sound also, as Arkadin pointed out, some films may never earn 5 star technical scores, but the reviewer may feel the upgrade is significant enough to warrant the must own status.

i am VERY stingy on must own titles, and 5 star scores. i think both only belong with the best of the best, in any category. it's not a science or spreadsheet based off of x stars = x recommendation.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 AM

Only 2 criteria:

1) Rewatchability. If I'm not going to watch it more than 5 times again in my lifetime, I don't NEED to own it. No thanks.

2) Reasonably perfect picture and audio. If either a subpar and a newer, better release is likely, I don't need to own the lesser copy just because it came out earlier.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 AM

Thank you all for your posts! It's greatly appreciated!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

And besides, ONLY YOU know which title is truly a Must Own.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
And besides, ONLY YOU know which title is truly a Must Own.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM

If Nate says it's a must own, then you must own! LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I think there's things like appeal to consider. While Drew might have loved Che, I think it's clear that it's not going to be a movie for everyone and that factors into his decision in terms of a recommendation. Then of course, it also comes at the discretion of the reviewer, which varies from each one.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
That's right Nate.