Apple VS PC Smackdown? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Apple VS PC Smackdown?

Since we already have a Game Console Smackdown, why not have a Home Computer Smackdown as well? Just for the good fun in it, of course.

Users could show off their babies or benchmark one specific game that is available for both plattforms. I think there's great potential in something like that.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM

I'm not sure I'd advocate for such a forum on this site, but if we were going to have one, perhaps put it under "Related Topics", and axe/merge some of those seldom used forum areas down there.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 PM

pc smokes apple all day
Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM

I have said that we need a PC/Apple section on this site period. There are many people that are huge PC enthusiasts here. With the advent of the HTPC, we should have it. I'm on two other sites and it is amazing how we help each other out when we have a dilemma when it comes to building a PC, HTPC, Apple products, troubleshooting, driver issues, motherboard help(which platform to go with, AMD or Intel based chipsets), sound driver issues, monitor selections, OS preferences(Windows,Mac,Linux), server issues, network issues, router issues, modem issues, overclocking issues, RAM timing and selection of rams, new breakthroughs in the industry as a whole that would benefit this particular community, case modifications, Sandra scores, PC gaming, PC import games(Soldner-X to name just one), software issues and preferences, and many more to name. This is much more up my ally. I'm new to this site really and I would be in this section maybe fifteen times a day to help people or we could exchange ideas about the best hardware and concepts. Just think people, I'm going to CES in January and there are so many products and CEO's there that are geared toward the PC Market. The likes of Bill Gates, Sony Entertainment. Hell, for the most part, consoles today are computers. They all have microprocessors and dedicated graphics by Nvidia or ATI(AMD) built into them. This is just an example of the many aspects of this big world of computing we live in. I still don't understand why we don't have this community in here. There are two other sites that don't have the title of PC or Mac on their site, yet they have a dedicated PC section for drives, hardware, etc. And on any given day and time when I'm on people are thanking me or the next person for helping them with a situation they feel they are stuck in. I love all of the people on this site, but I think we need to start helping each other more. A little help goes a long way in people's heart and soul. Peace....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 PM

The PC has more options versus the Apple(Mac) line of desktops and laptops. One thing Apple does do very well is take full advantage of the Adobe series of software from Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc...Apple also does a great job when it comes to editing music in a 24-track studio and the good use of editing video with the likes of Final Cut Pro HD. I've worked with many of these softwares on the Apple line of Macs. However, there is a huge drawback and this makes the PC enthusiasts just laugh at the Apple audience: Expensive. I just built another PC for $49.00 with a dual-core 2.4Ghz(Overclocked to 3.2Ghz) with standard cooling. Yes, there is a way to build Macs if you know how to, but the parts are very expensive. Avid had been known to be just like Final Cut Pro HD, but Final Cut Pro is thousands of dollars more expensive than Avid. Don't get me wrong. I love both platforms for various reasons. Hell, Pixar uses Macs for their editing and it works for them. In addition, some people feel that the cascading that's in Windows Vista and Windows 7 was actually copied from the OS X series of OS's. Apple has been using that type of interface for years and now Windows based environment want to do it. Remember, Apple was the actual first OS environment to utilize a GUI based environment on the desktop. Remember, the Windows OS was dos based at one time that utilized the huge square floppies with a ring in the middle to hold data. You remember the Macintosh Performa's? I'm in my late 30's and I did all of my programming and drew Garfield and Odee on a Performa before the advent of Windows 98(three additions) even came into existence. Listen, both platforms are good, but many people I come across on a daily basis that go over to Macs tell me they'll never go back to a Windows based machine ever again unless they go over to the likes of Ubuntu(Linux Based OS). However, when it comes to playing games, the PC is just the winner hands down. There are hundreds of titles on the PC that will never come on to the Mac line of computers. That's why they both have their plus' and minus'. Peace....
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Everyone knows Pink Lady's is where its at!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blckman View Post
The PC has more options versus the Apple(Mac) line of desktops and laptops. One thing Apple does do very well is take full advantage of the Adobe series of software from Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc...Apple also does a great job when it comes to editing music in a 24-track studio and the good use of editing video with the likes of Final Cut Pro HD. I've worked with many of these softwares on the Apple line of Macs. However, there is a huge drawback and this makes the PC enthusiasts just laugh at the Apple audience: Expensive. I just built another PC for $49.00 with a dual-core 2.4Ghz(Overclocked to 3.2Ghz) with standard cooling. Yes, there is a way to build Macs if you know how to, but the parts are very expensive. Avid had been known to be just like Final Cut Pro HD, but Final Cut Pro is thousands of dollars more expensive than Avid. Don't get me wrong. I love both platforms for various reasons. Hell, Pixar uses Macs for their editing and it works for them. In addition, some people feel that the cascading that's in Windows Vista and Windows 7 was actually copied from the OS X series of OS's. Apple has been using that type of interface for years and now Windows based environment want to do it. Remember, Apple was the actual first OS environment to utilize a GUI based environment on the desktop. Remember, the Windows OS was dos based at one time that utilized the huge square floppies with a ring in the middle to hold data. You remember the Macintosh Performa's? I'm in my late 30's and I did all of my programming and drew Garfield and Odee on a Performa before the advent of Windows 98(three additions) even came into existence. Listen, both platforms are good, but many people I come across on a daily basis that go over to Macs tell me they'll never go back to a Windows based machine ever again unless they go over to the likes of Ubuntu(Linux Based OS). However, when it comes to playing games, the PC is just the winner hands down. There are hundreds of titles on the PC that will never come on to the Mac line of computers. That's why they both have their plus' and minus'. Peace....
+1. Good post.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Ok. Perhaps "Apple VS PC Smackdown" sounded a bit harsh. But what about a regular Apple/PC platform?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blckman View Post
Apple also does a great job when it comes to editing music in a 24-track studio
Great mention...it's certainly the OS of choice of many producers/musicians and I can understand why. The MAC OS does well at resources management from what I understand and sequencing can be a real resource hog.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 AM

But also do not forget. You can have the best of both worlds on Mac. I run Mac OS and Windows 7. In fact it runs Windows 7 better than my PC. So while PC has more software, etc. That point is moot IF you can get on a copy of Windows 7.