Purely Negative "MOVIE" reviews. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Purely Negative "MOVIE" reviews.

I have been a member of this site for over two years. I have traded here and had this as my homepage since I joined. However, the quality of reviews is getting pathetic.

I am getting more and more disgusted with these reviews. I come here for reviews about the Video, Audio, and Special Features. Let us make our own opinions on the movie. These guys are turning into Critics more than advisers.

The purely negative reviews about the movie itself taint the Video and Audio quality reviews because they fill every gap with some quip about how terrible the movie was.

This is becoming more and more frequent.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Umm yeah, you know they ARE critics, right? Their job is to give you a review that reflects their criticism and opinion of the movie at hand as well as the disc itself.

As has been discussed many, many, many, many, many, many times here, if you don't like the opinion or lack the self security to be able to view someone's opinion that differs from your own then it may be best to skip reading that portion of the review and focus on the sections titled "video," and "audio."

Just my opinion-people need to grow a little skin on their berries and realize not everyone agrees with them. That sure as hell does not equal pathetic. Not being able to recognize or accept that does.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 PM

What exactly about the reviews are purely negative? Is every review supposed to be purely positive? There has to be a balance I think.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM

I honestly think igot just plain is misunderstanding the role of a reviewer here.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Former Member

i think what he's saying is that he feels that when a film gets a shit score for the movie itself, that the video, audio, and extras section shouldn't even have the slightest mention as to how terrible the film they were for, that saying "a great presentation for an absolutely shitty film" comments are a low blow.

so long as the dislike for a movie doesn't affect the scores (that'd be called biased scoring), then i really could care less, personally, as a reader (as a reviewer, not touching this). i think it's much, much, MUCH worse to let positive views of a film affect scores, and lead people on that something is much better than it actually is by being a raving fanboy or shill.

people also get upset that a film with average, if not solid, presentation elements get low "final grades," and lower star rankings, as if it really matters what a final score is, if all they care about is the audio and video (really, it is a bit silly to complain about a final tally averaged score when all you care about is elements b and c). but as josh always says, paraphrased, regardless of how good battlefield earth is, it won't get a positive commendation.

my 2 pennies, as a long time review reader at this site.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM

agreed blu. I can think of exactly one review I have read here that I felt the A/V scores were potentially influenced by the reviewer's feeling towards the movie.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 PM

jesus christ-I winced when I saw the last response was from you before I saw what you posted.

Can't say I disagree with you (Josh), though.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdvds View Post
I come here for reviews about the Video, Audio, and Special Features. Let us make our own opinions on the movie. These guys are turning into Critics more than advisers.
So, reading someone else's opinion in some way prohibits your forming your own opinion?

Two of the more recent "negative reviews" are two movies I decided to buy after reading the review - Transformers 2 and GI Joe. After reading the review, seeing the reviewer's opinion on the movie and why he didn't like the movie I glanced through the Video & Audio sections and decided the movie would fit my tastes for when I'm in the mood for a mindless action popcorn flick. No problemo.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM

All I was saying is that the reviewers like or dislike of the movie affects their opinion of the audio and video transfer which affects what I purchase.

So in a way, if they have a purely negative feeling toward the flick, it affects what we are told about the video and audio quality.

@Gunyaga - I was voicing my opinion, no need to get defensive.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Former Member

well i can say i, for one, don't let positive or negative feelings affect my scoring. i'm a tough scorer on a good day (and my squid index proves that!), and don't need my dislike for a film furthering how low a score will go in any section. there are films where they are just plopped on with no attention to detail, and shit is horribly wrong...they just so happen to be for crappy ass films to boot. hell, the fact that catwoman didn't 0 across the board proves that this bias isn't as much there as one would think, as if any disc deserved to be rounded up and burned at a rally, it'd be that one.