Exploding Ads - Please Report! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Default Exploding Ads - Please Report!

Exploding ads or pop-up ads are something which High-Def Digest does not want on the website. Unfortunately, not wanting them doesn't mean that they don't slip through at times.

To get rid of these ads, we need the help of our forum members and their understanding that it may take a couple of days to get rid of an ad once it is reported, but it is certainly not something wanted on this site by members, or the owners.

My understanding is that the best way to get rid of a pop-up or exploding ad is by sending in the link that you get taken to by clicking on the exploding ad. While this requires you to click the darn thing, it gives HDD the best opportunity to ensure that ad can be blocked in the future.

The best advice came from Attebery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Anytime you see these, please tell me what they link to, take a screengrab if you're really feeling motivated, and email them to me through the feedback email.
It's unfortunate that some advertisers think that because they have found a way to go beyond the boxes they are given, that they use that to disrupt the forums which everyone here enjoys and we want to ensure that those ads do get removed right away, so member help is vital to getting them removed.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Got one...

Landing page:
http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?cp=U...99/pgid-204424

The FIRST landing page before redirecting to the above link...
http://ats.tumri.net/ats/ats
Attached Thumbnails
Exploding Ads - Please Report!-ad.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM

exploding Nike store ad appears right over the forum tab.
blocking it from being clicked onto.
amazing how many of these type ads seems to be appearing these days.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 PM

And now one for Low's:

I know the ads are to make your money, trust me I know as I run a site, but considering all these problems the ADs are presenting now, isn't it time to go a different way? Hell use AMZ links as they are 10x more likely yo benefit the site in the long run.

Or use Allposters.com or something, sites that only pertains to Blu-ray and HDM as, like I said it will benefit the site more, as it will likely have a better chance to be clicked on than an ad for Low's or Capital One, or something.

Love the site, but these ads are getting annoying as hell, sorry.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Guys, I don't think IB manages the links directly - I think it is an automated system of advertisers and advertisements. On a day-to-day basis, this website simply gets fed advertisements from those who are willing to pay, and at times, the ads just suck. HDD doesn't like them anymore than any of our forum members, but the site is just trying to get by.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:14 PM

I understand that, truly I do. That's why I suggested putting Amazon widgets there instead as it will likely get more clicks as it would catch the eye better since it would be something about Blu-ray or HDM.

The likes are really easy to do and I think it would benefit the site a hell of a lot more. I mean how many of us click on the banners? I know I don't. But if I seen a banner that said "50% off all Blus at Amazon" I would likely click it....

It's the same with Allposters.com, they have awesome posters and you can affiliate yourself with the easy. Hell here is the link to sign-up.

I'm not trying to down the site, but trying to help. Look at me, check my sig out whats it say? "Amazon Pre-order Page" I'm just speaking from experience and saying Amazon has great rewards. Our site is small and with HDD being the size it is, I can guarantee it will pay off a hell of a lot better, than Capital One ads, which yes I know, HDD doesn't have any say on what goes up there, but still.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM

getting a "get wired ad" that keeps interfering with page. like a banner ad that stays in middle of screen and has no close button. on each page.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 PM

I've just bought one of their S7 TVs, so I'm a bit tired of accidentally dragging the pointer over the Samsung TV ad and ending up on their website 'cos those ruddy Kingfishers pop out of it and cover the forum links

The interim URL is below, if it's any use, the destination site is included.

http://servedby.flashtalking.com/cli...elevision/led/

Cheers,

Ray Von
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandellG View Post
And now one for Low's:

I'm getting this one again
Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM

It's not exploding, but the Time Warner ads that constantly animate are freezing the pages I try to load. I have to refresh the page a few times to get it to finish.

These ads are becoming monstrosities. When they actually make me think twice about going to a site, it's a problem.