upping 5 star system - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Default upping 5 star system

I was wondering if there is any chance to bump your 5 star rating sytem to 10?

I ask because somtimes it's hard to gauge where the rating stands
i.e. for PQ there could be a movie that is reviewed as a sub-par transfer that gets 3-3 out of 5 stars in PQ
then a movie that's reviewed high in PQ will get a 4 of 5, only -1 star difference in what somtimes is a big difference in PQ

another example in PQ reviews is when two movies are rated near pefect they may both get 4-5 stars, even if one of the moveis is rated to have one or two cons, and the other might have three or more cons

and I think it would be easier to
seperated the great PQ from the immaculate PQ if there was a wider range which they were reviewed

Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM

if this happened, then there would need to be alot of back dating and going back and changing all the previous titles and that is alot of work, but not that it cant be done.

Having said that, once you've been around here for a while, you will see alot of the reviews are flaud and dont make sense anyways so take them all with a grain of sault. "their more like guidlines"
Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 AM

I was only meaning for future reviews to avoid said confusions in future releases

not changing the old ones though that would also be nice but it's no a big deal
it's in the past
Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 AM

All you've got to do is double all the star ratings.

For example (Lost in Translation HD DVD):
Movie: 4.5 --> 9/10
PQ: 3.5 --> 7/10
AQ: 3.5 --> 7/10
Supplements: 1.5 --> 3/10
Extras: 0 --> 0/10

Overall: 3 --> 6/10
Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
All you've got to do is double all the star ratings.

For example (Lost in Translation HD DVD):
Movie: 4.5 --> 9/10
PQ: 3.5 --> 7/10
AQ: 3.5 --> 7/10
Supplements: 1.5 --> 3/10
Extras: 0 --> 0/10

Overall: 3 --> 6/10
In theory, this would work. However, I suspect that given a 10-star scale instead of 5 would actually cause Peter and Kenneth to change their ratings from time to time. For instance, when a 3 out of 5 star rating is given, I could easily see them handing out a 7 out of 10 instead of a 6 for the same category, just due to the little nuances in which our brains work. A 3 out of 5 is 60% but given a larger scale, they might be apt to lean toward 70%. Either way, I presume that changing the scale would simply not be possible. Nobody is going to go back and re-rate all those discs unless somehow new hardware came out that could supposedly improve their quality.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
In theory, this would work. However, I suspect that given a 10-star scale instead of 5 would actually cause Peter and Kenneth to change their ratings from time to time. For instance, when a 3 out of 5 star rating is given, I could easily see them handing out a 7 out of 10 instead of a 6 for the same category, just due to the little nuances in which our brains work. A 3 out of 5 is 60% but given a larger scale, they might be apt to lean toward 70%. Either way, I presume that changing the scale would simply not be possible. Nobody is going to go back and re-rate all those discs unless somehow new hardware came out that could supposedly improve their quality.
roger that.